• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh/Western Pa Weather

north pgh

Didn't they do this with the October storm as well? I believe they had a 20% chance of snow showers right up until some areas woke up to 2 inches of wet snow on Saturday morning.

Yes...they said basically nothing, and parts of the area got advisory level snow.

They did it several times last year...where they kept saying and inch or two, and we got near warning level snow. The one February event really comes to mind, up to even where it started snowing, they were saying 1-3 inches, and we ended up with 7 I think, and one of the worst rush hours in Pittsburgh history because everyone thought there would be 2 inches of snow...instead we got an inch per hour rates during the rush...lol.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you should be fine on Thursday. The storm is a quick mover and will be out of WV and Western Pa by midnight or so Wednesday. I see most of WV and Pa with Sunny skies and cold temps on Thursday.

I see that most of the snow is going to miss Pittsburgh :axe: I am driving up from NC on thursday morning to catch the game against the Browns. I finally got some tickets for my 6yr old son and me. Can someone give me an idea on the weather as I get near Pittsburgh. Looks like I may run into snow up through west va? thanks

Well, 00z GFS just printed out 3-4 inches of snow in Allegheny County, but here is my NWS forecast...

I mean really?? Come on. At the very least, MENTION that there is a 30% chance of snow.

It is a little funny seeing how detailed the friday night forecast is... A 30% chance of snow showers between 10pm and 4am. Yet no mention of even a flake tomorrow, but we know how they can be so no point in pushing the issue.

Here is how absurd the current NWS Pittsburgh forecast is...this is Ligoneer.

Overnight: A slight chance of showers. Areas of dense fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 34. West wind around 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Wednesday: A chance of rain showers before 5pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Northwest wind between 7 and 9 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers, mainly before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind between 7 and 14 mph, with gusts as high as 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Now, here is Johnstown, which is probably about 20 miles away as the crow flies, and in State College's forecast zone.

Overnight: Scattered rain showers before 4am, then rain likely, possibly mixed with snow showers. Patchy fog. Otherwise, cloudy, with a low around 35. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Wednesday: Rain and snow, becoming all snow after 1pm. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog before 10am. High near 37. Northwest wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Wednesday Night: Snow, mainly before 10pm. Low around 25. Northwest wind between 10 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

I mean, how, in a span of 20 miles, do you go from 40% POP to 100%? I guess I just have no clue what KPIT is looking at right now...yeah, I think that the metro will be lucky to get an inch or two, but I think the potential is there, and we will at least see snow showers, and it won't just be cloudy.

And that forecast for the Laurel Highlands is absurd. I think they are looking at a good 3-6 inches...at least, and if it shifts back west slightly, 4-8 inches.

To say an inch is gross negligence, IMO.

I agree with you completely. Nobody is sure if we get any accumulation but I would have at least had a 40% chance of rain and snow showers for Allegheny county late this afternoon. Then you can detail it in the morning when the storm is on our doorstep. At least flurries and sprinkles lol.

Here is how absurd the current NWS Pittsburgh forecast is...this is Ligoneer.

Now, here is Johnstown, which is probably about 20 miles away as the crow flies, and in State College's forecast zone.

I mean, how, in a span of 20 miles, do you go from 40% POP to 100%? I guess I just have no clue what KPIT is looking at right now...yeah, I think that the metro will be lucky to get an inch or two, but I think the potential is there, and we will at least see snow showers, and it won't just be cloudy.

And that forecast for the Laurel Highlands is absurd. I think they are looking at a good 3-6 inches...at least, and if it shifts back west slightly, 4-8 inches.

To say an inch is gross negligence, IMO.

They definitely do some questionable things but theres no point in beating a dead horse. Anyone who frequents this thread knows its been an issue, nothing we can do though. Luckily for us we have the tools to see for ourselves what may be on the way.

I smell Rants.....and if you aren't, I'm sorry..but you have 6 posts, and you know the thread dynamics from last winter?

New Euro comin in wide with precip field...

PIT is about 0.35" of QPF as mostly snow

LBE (Latrobe) has nearly 0.8" that would likely be mostly snow (0.2 of rain prior)

BTP (Butler) has about 0.2-0.3"

Since i'm over here might as well throw up my snowmap i had up for the Central PA folks

post-1507-0-58123600-1323239450.png

LBE (Latrobe) has nearly 0.8" that would likely be mostly snow (0.2 of rain prior)

Since i'm over here might as well throw up my snowmap i had up for the Central PA folks

Thank you much...I will gladly take 1-3 inches of snow!

Looks great!! Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. I'd say 2" is a big win for us considering where we sat yesterday.

Looks like the NWS has suddenly and finally joined the party on this one. They're calling for around an inch now.

Today: Rain before 4pm, then snow likely. High near 39. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26. West wind between 8 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Thanks for posting your thoughts. Gotta say this has completely caught me off guard. All the talk about the +AO and recent warm temperatures and I haven't even been checking the models much. Then I woke up this morning and had a text from PA weather alerts for a winter storm advisories!

Anyone else concerned about the precipitation field moving further east away from us? That is the problem with being so close to the cutoff of the precip. If the storm shifts 50 miles east we will get hardly anything.

I noticed the airport is now down to 36 and falling but the precip has stopped. Unless we get some more development to our south and west we may be looking at a miss here. Comments?

Latest NWS forecast has backed off some on their accumulation numbers (which were only around an inch to begin with), and this is for southern Allegheny County basically. Looks like the models early yesterday were more accurate with this system than when they started to trend back toward the west. Seeing the western edge just skim us is not fun to watch. Nothing we're not used to around here though, like I said yesterday. Just have to move on to the next one. We'll see some snow on the fringe of this eventually but not much.

This Afternoon: Rain before 3pm, then rain and snow. High near 38. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

I am getting light snow now.

It's a shame that now the temps are cold enough and the precip is scattered.

It looks like the radar is filling in a little bit but I still think a grassy area snowfall is on tap for my area.

Areas to the south and east should do better.

Latest NWS forecast has backed off some on their accumulation numbers (which were only around an inch to begin with), and this is for southern Allegheny County basically. Looks like the models early yesterday were more accurate with this system than when they started to trend back toward the west. Seeing the western edge just skim us is not fun to watch. Nothing we're not used to around here though, like I said yesterday. Just have to move on to the next one.

This Afternoon: Rain before 3pm, then rain and snow. High near 38. North wind around 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 11 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

The fact we aren't getting much out of this doesn't diminish how put to lunch kpit was on this. As of last night they said it would be cloudy in the metro today, and an inch in the laurels...they weren't even close, and came off as lazy on this one to me.

Well if they were basically saying non-event.....and it was a non-event....you can't really say they were out to lunch because for while some thought it might be an event. Ya know? It looks like most of the accumulations over a couple inches were outside of their CWA in Cambria and Somerset. I think I saw a 4" in eastern Westmoreland.

I saw a few wet flakes at work downtown then came home to a healthy dusting.

Well if they were basically saying non-event.....and it was a non-event....you can't really say they were out to lunch because for while some thought it might be an event. Ya know? It looks like most of the accumulations over a couple inches were outside of their CWA in Cambria and Somerset. I think I saw a 4" in eastern Westmoreland.

I saw a few wet flakes at work downtown then came home to a healthy dusting.

I disagree though. AGC saw some sort of precip all day. Remember, the NWS was calling for no precip at all on that day, and in the Laurels, the night before they were calling for maybe an inch of snow, and all of a sudden had a winter storm warning up in the morning, and that area got 4-6 inches it looks like.

Archived