• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Cool Video of a Jerky, Dancing Cloud

It's not the lens, the camera is not steady, and the dancing cloud moves independently of the camera movement.

My hunch is that there is something in or on the lens, perhaps a small droplet, that is attenuating the light from the sky and causing the "dancing cloud" every time the droplet in the lens moves. This doesn't happen with every jerk of the camera unless it overcomes adhesive property of water being stuck to the lens.

My hunch is that there is something in or on the lens, perhaps a small droplet, that is attenuating the light from the sky and causing the "dancing cloud" every time the droplet in the lens moves. This doesn't happen with every jerk of the camera unless it overcomes adhesive property of water being stuck to the lens.

So you don't agree with the article--that it's ice crystals re-aligning with a changing electric field?

I asked Les Cowley over at Atmospheric Optics if he agreed with the article's assessment. I very much trust his thoughts on all things Optics. He said via email:

No. Pressure waves from lightning discharges producing changes in droplet condensation are more likely.

Of course, this is assuming it was an actual phenomenon and not a lens problem (which the additional videos would seem to suggest).

Archived