• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
SNE Weather Conference

Turtle

So, anybody going? The hub and I will be there. I fly back home from Birmingham (see NWA blog thread over on Weather Discussion section) late Thursday night, have Friday off, then head up to Canton (at the base of Blue Hill) on Saturday. Not sure what time I'll be there, but hope early enough.

Hope to see some of you weenies there!!

--Turtle

So, anybody going? The hub and I will be there. I fly back home from Birmingham (see NWA blog thread over on Weather Discussion section) late Thursday night, have Friday off, then head up to Canton (at the base of Blue Hill) on Saturday. Not sure what time I'll be there, but hope early enough.

--Turtle

I will be going. And I will be bringing a decent sized group of UMASS Lowell Meteorology students with me.

--Turtle

Yep! I've been going for several years now but will be bringing my son for the first time! One of my favorite days of the year--can't wait!

I managed to make it down to Canton yesterday for the SNE weather conference. This was my first conference and it was well worth the price, I found all of the presentations to be very informative with a nice variety of topics. A lot of weenies in attendance with a far greater knowledge of the weather than myself, but I enjoyed it for sure and will be back next year! Thanks to the folks that made the conference possible!

Any vids?

No official vids by the conference committee. I suggested it a few years ago but I imagine it would be costly and tedious. I wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for a aud/vid person to archive these presentations. However, I did see someone tape Joe Bastardi's presentation on their phone--maybe that will surface somewhere?

I managed to make it down to Canton yesterday for the SNE weather conference. This was my first conference and it was well worth the price, I found all of the presentations to be very informative with a nice variety of topics. A lot of weenies in attendance with a far greater knowledge of the weather than myself, but I enjoyed it for sure and will be back next year! Thanks to the folks that made the conference possible!

As Matt Noyes said, it's my day to totally "geek-out". I wish it was a whole weekend. It was great to meet Turtle as well!

When Hayden Frank did his presentation on the dual pol. radar, he said that the BOX radar will be down Jan 2-25 for the switch to dual pol. Is MA going to be without radar for that time period? Do other radars cover that area? Or can we just information from satellites on those days?

Also, I missed the last of Joe D'Aleo and Joe Bastardi's winter storm presentation. What were his final thoughts for us?

Loved the Santa videos from NECN around Christmas instead of talking about the imminent storm.

When Hayden Frank did his presentation on the dual pol. radar, he said that the BOX radar will be down Jan 2-25 for the switch to dual pol. Is MA going to be without radar for that time period? Do other radars cover that area? Or can we just information from satellites on those days?

Also, I missed the last of Joe D'Aleo and Joe Bastardi's winter storm presentation. What were his final thoughts for us?

Loved the Santa videos from NECN around Christmas instead of talking about the imminent storm.

We will have radar coverage from OKX, GYX and ALY during that time. Plus, as stated during the presentation, at least it isn't during severe weather season. At least it will be "easier" to monitor winter storms rather than potential severe weather while we switch to dual pol. It will be interesting to work in this configuration.

--Turtle

Joe D had offered his normal barrage of correlation slides--always fantastic analysis. Joe B (what a great impromptu speaker) had a cold start for us but mentioned watching the changing QBO and AMO to possibly warm us up later in the winter (Feb).

Archived