• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Classifying Nino/Nina's

weatherwiz

Over the past few years the concept of not only classifying ENSO by Nina/Nino/Neutral but the concept of classifying the ENSO phase by west-based/east-based/basin wide has been a fairly hot topic as well as some research done has indicated that where the strongest SSTA anomalies are setup can also have major influences on the downstream pattern. One of the things I have been trying to do is compose a list classifying all Nina's/Nino's as either west/east/basin-wide...only b/c I have never seen anything like this posted.

Anyways I know there are several different methods of determining this and I guess there really isn't one definition of doing so. Some methods include taking the anomalies from ENSO region 3 and subtracting that from ENSO region 4....you can also use the TNI index (which can be a major pain b/c the TNI index involves ENSO region 1.2 which can be very volatile) or you can use SSTA reanalysis maps and get a visual sense of where the strongest anomalies are occurring.

Anyways I've just been using the Nino 3.4 - Nino 4 method and then using the reanalysis maps as a backup. I've been working on this off and on for over 2 years now so I have composed several lists but some years I'm confused with. I would just like to compose something that is as accurate as possible. I'll just list the Ninas since this upcoming winter will likely be another Nina winter.

1950-1951: west-based

1954-1955: west-based

1955-1956: Started off east-based then shifted more towards west-based by winters end

1956-1957: west-based during the fall shifting more towards east based in winter with a fading Nina

1962-1963: Indecisive

1964-1965: east-based trended towards west-based end of winter

1967-1968: east-based

1970-1971: Basin-wide

1971-1972: East-Bast in fall/early winter with a fading Nina

1973-1974: Basin-wide

1974-1975: Indecisive

1975-1976: east-based

1984-1985: east-based

1988-1989: basin-wide

1995-1996: Indecisive...Nino 3 - Nino 4 indicates east-based, however, maps show west-based

71.235.32.35.268.21.15.55.png

1998-1999: west-based

1999-2000: Basin-wide

2000-2001: west-based

2007-2008: basin-wide

2010-2011: basin-wide

Nice work Wiz.. I think I might put something together in excel for this probably developing a formula based on regions 3, 3.4 and 4, which I think might be the best way.

Like half the formula 3.4-3 and half 4-3.

I'll just import all the data and then I should be able to do it by month and by the season average.

Nice work Wiz.. I think I might put something together in excel for this probably developing a formula based on regions 3, 3.4 and 4, which I think might be the best way.

Like half the formula 3.4-3 and half 4-3.

Thanks.

I've come across many different types of formulas from PM'ing some people over the past few years but the most common one seemed to be taking the Nino 3 anomaly and subtracting that from the Nino 4 anomaly. Really trying to figure out what the best method is. Looking at the SSTA maps too I feel could actually be a great method b/c you're visually seeing where the strongest anomalies are occurring. For example, like the 1995-1996 Nina...the Nino 3-4 method gives you negative numbers...indicating east-based, however, if you look at the SSTA map that would seem to indicate a more west-based Nina.

Thanks.

I've come across many different types of formulas from PM'ing some people over the past few years but the most common one seemed to be taking the Nino 3 anomaly and subtracting that from the Nino 4 anomaly. Really trying to figure out what the best method is. Looking at the SSTA maps too I feel could actually be a great method b/c you're visually seeing where the strongest anomalies are occurring. For example, like the 1995-1996 Nina...the Nino 3-4 method gives you negative numbers...indicating east-based, however, if you look at the SSTA map that would seem to indicate a more west-based Nina.

I think the reason 1995-1996 comes in as east based nina in the formula is that the western part of region 4 is really warm (actually above average). Check out how far west region 4 extends. It's also not particularly east based even if you use the formula if you consider region 4 is usually not as cold as region 3.

I think the reason 1995-1996 comes in as east based nina in the formula is that the western part of region 4 is really warm (actually above average). Check out how far west region 4 extends. It's also not particularly east based even if you use the formula if you consider region 4 is usually not as cold as region 3.

I see what you mean...that makes total sense.

I see what you mean...that makes total sense.

It's like you said though.. maybe a qualitative analysis is better.. what's more important: the fact that the center and eastern part of region 4 was very cold, or the fact that western region 4 was quite warm? Maybe I could say better if I understood the mechanism better. What's probably most important is identifying the extreme cases of east vs west (which should be easier to identify) because if the signal is muddled then it probably doesn't have that big of an impact anyways.

It's like you said though.. maybe a qualitative analysis is better.. what's more important: the fact that the center and eastern part of region 4 was very cold, or the fact that western region 4 was quite warm? Maybe I could say better if I understood the mechanism better. What's probably most important is identifying the extreme cases of east vs west (which should be easier to identify) because if the signal is muddled then it probably doesn't have that big of an impact anyways.

What also makes this difficult is I don't think there really is a "set definition" yet of east vs. west.

If the signal is muddled, such at which seems the case in this example perhaps it's just best not to classify it as anything? Or perhaps just label it as "neutral based"?

What also makes this difficult is I don't think there really is a "set definition" yet of east vs. west.

If the signal is muddled, such at which seems the case in this example perhaps it's just best not to classify it as anything? Or perhaps just label it as "neutral based"?

Generally speaking for ENSO, if the signal is muddled, then the forcing is muddled too and other factors are going to play a larger role anyway.

this map argues otherwise fwiw

December.95.anomaly.gif

this map argues otherwise fwiw

No it doesn't.. that's why I specifically said go look at how far west region 4 extends. It extends all the way to the longitude of the Solomon islands off the coast of Papua New Guinea. The numbers don't lie.. region 4 was warmer than region 3 that year and it's because of the warmth in western region 4. The coldest waters were in eastern region 4 but they were offset.

No it doesn't.. that's why I said go look at how far west region 4 extends. It extends all the way to the longitude of the Solomon islands off the coast of Papua New Guinea. The numbers don't lie.. region 4 was warmer than region 3 that year and it's because of the warmth in western region 4. The coldest waters were in eastern region 4 but they were offset.

Correct...

December-January-February Nino region anomalies

Nino 3: -0.88 -0.91 -0.61

Nino 4: +0.16 +0.27 +0.32

Archived