Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PYKL3 Radar 2.2 released

Joe Jurecka

Hi all,

Hi everyone. Just wanted to let you all know that PYKL3 Radar 2.2 is available for your updating pleasure. Major items include 1,3,Storm total precipitation and user reports of MUCH faster response on the Thunderbolt and other Adreno GPU devices.

Joe

Does this work on the droid platform yet? I seem to remember it did not in the past.

The latest updates have been great and the program keeps getting better. Going forward, it would be nice if the color scale was marked with the values it represents, especially for precip and velocity products. Just a minor suggestion. It is definitely the best radar app out there for Android.

Indeed. I'm going to see what I can work up unobtrusively. The easiest thing to remember in the interim is tick marks are units of 10 except for precipitation totals which are units of 1.

Some other useful info is in the (still being worked on) manual

http://pykl3radar.com/pykl3wiki/index.php/PYKL3_User%27s_Manual

Joe

• 1 month later...

Purchased and have been using pykl3 2.2 for a few weeks now.. thx for all your work on this, glad to have it

have 2 specific suggestions so far

1. Allow for disabling system notifications about each image loading, it (annoyingly for me) flashes on the notification bar and doesn't supply any information i want/need to know

2. Allow for option for initial radar position to be centered on GPS location. In my case the radar loads centered on KBOX, and my location is not on screen.

let me know if there's a better or more official place to post stuff like this.

Purchased and have been using pykl3 2.2 for a few weeks now.. thx for all your work on this, glad to have it

have 2 specific suggestions so far

1. Allow for disabling system notifications about each image loading, it (annoyingly for me) flashes on the notification bar and doesn't supply any information i want/need to know

2. Allow for option for initial radar position to be centered on GPS location. In my case the radar loads centered on KBOX, and my location is not on screen.

let me know if there's a better or more official place to post stuff like this.

Good suggestions. The best place to make feature request is right to the developer at [email protected] Sometimes it takes a while to adapt things but others are very easy. Suggestions are always welcome. I believe these two are of the easy variety so there's a good chance they'll make it in the next release.

I suggest using RadarScope.... so much better

want to disagree with this, but I'd have to buy RadarScope to have a relevant opinion..

They look very similar and user's are happy with both apps. One thing PYKL3 has in it's favor is that we're engaging with the developer right here. All things equal I'd much rather support an AMWX contributor.

PYKL3 is better than RadarScope in my opinion. Street Level mapping is awesome, you can change the color tables to your liking, overlays of you favorite data sources (AH, etc)

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate the vote of support. I continue development on lots of cool stuff for PYKL3. It's a passion of mine and each day, the app just gets more feature rich.

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I could test Radar Scope and PYKL3 to compare before purchasing

Having used both, as it stands right now I would choose PYKL3 over RadarScope if I was chasing, but I like RadarScope for general use. PYKL3 has much better road network mapping and is integrated well with SpotterNetwork, but RadarScope is cleaner and faster. You can also customize PYKL3 settings a lot more (such as line colors and thicknesses) compared to what you can do in RadarScope.

PYKL3 does have a demo version you can download.

Thanks. I can't seem to find the demo version

Having used both, as it stands right now I would choose PYKL3 over RadarScope if I was chasing, but I like RadarScope for general use. PYKL3 has much better road network mapping and is integrated well with SpotterNetwork, but RadarScope is cleaner and faster. You can also customize PYKL3 settings a lot more (such as line colors and thicknesses) compared to what you can do in RadarScope.

PYKL3 does have a demo version you can download.

• 1 month later...

All,

To demo the software, the Amazon site has this ability. Just go to http://www.amazon.com/PYK-Consulting-PYKL3-Radar-Version/dp/B0051BO6O4 and select Test Drive Now. It will give you 30 minutes at a time to play with the software in a browser.

If one elects to purchase PYKL3, I highly recommend purchasing via Google Market and not Amazon as I am able to offer MUCH greater support via the Google outlet.

Joe, Author, PYKL3 Radar

• 3 weeks later...

Nice work Joe on this application. I personally prefer PYKL3 over Radarscope. Radarscope doesn't even show timestamps for each radar frame. I own both but the only thing I use Radarscope for right now is the dual polarization products but I'm sure those are on the way for PYKL3. Only thing I'd suggest to change would be automatic landscape mode when rotating screen. (I don't recall if this worked or not on my original Motorola Droid but it does not on my Galaxy Nexus running ICS).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Nice work Joe on this application. I personally prefer PYKL3 over Radarscope. Radarscope doesn't even show timestamps for each radar frame. I own both but the only thing I use Radarscope for right now is the dual polarization products but I'm sure those are on the way for PYKL3. Only thing I'd suggest to change would be automatic landscape mode when rotating screen. (I don't recall if this worked or not on my original Motorola Droid but it does not on my Galaxy Nexus running ICS).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Both dual-pol and autorotate are present in 2.3, which is currently in beta. This app has really matured nicely over the past year. As of now, TDWR data is the only item that leaves me envying RadarScope users. Aside from that, I also prefer PYKL3 by a good margin.

• 1 month later...

Archived