• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
My best lightning photos!

We have had some spectacular light shows! I guess it takes a lot of patience (sitting there, waiting) and keeping the shutter open longer?

The easiest (well, cheapest and most practical) way to do is is set a relatively long exposure and just keep clicking the shutter button - eventually you're bound to catch a bolt.

I played around with it in the last few weeks. Use a tripod and remote. I find shooting at a larger F-stop captures more and you can leave the shutter open for 6 seconds or more. If you're gonna shoot in the daylight, unless it's really dark out you'll need a ND filter. This is my experience trying to shoot the last few weeks.

We have had some spectacular light shows! I guess it takes a lot of patience (sitting there, waiting) and keeping the shutter open longer?

The easiest (well, cheapest and most practical) way to do is is set a relatively long exposure and just keep clicking the shutter button - eventually you're bound to catch a bolt.

How about just shooting an HD video of it and separating out the frames? 30 fps will pretty much cover anything ;) As an alternative, you can also set your camera to interval mode and set it at a high frequency. Doing it either way avoids the need to keep pressing down the shutter button.

I played around with it in the last few weeks. Use a tripod and remote. I find shooting at a larger F-stop captures more and you can leave the shutter open for 6 seconds or more. If you're gonna shoot in the daylight, unless it's really dark out you'll need a ND filter. This is my experience trying to shoot the last few weeks.

Yep, and you've shot some excellent photos. Either this or HD Video mode or automatic interval mode would probably do it, but with daylight, if you're going to leave the shutter open like that, you really need a strong filter. Heh, you know what I did that actually turned out better than I thought it would, Ben? I used an infrared filter instead of a ND filter and it creates some really interesting effects in snowstorms and lightning displays. You should try it sometime. It plays the role of ND filter pretty well (almost too well lol), but it adds in that ghostly IR effect that nothing else (not even post processing) can replicate.

Got some pics?

Yep, and you've shot some excellent photos. Either this or HD Video mode or automatic interval mode would probably do it, but with daylight, if you're going to leave the shutter open like that, you really need a strong filter. Heh, you know what I did that actually turned out better than I thought it would, Ben? I used an infrared filter instead of a ND filter and it creates some really interesting effects in snowstorms and lightning displays. You should try it sometime. It plays the role of ND filter pretty well (almost too well lol), but it adds in that ghostly IR effect that nothing else (not even post processing) can replicate.

Archived