• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe day July 26 pics, vids

Ginx snewx

There was an impressive microburst in Deerfield that crossed I91 and Lower Rd.

This is pretty classic structure at X band and illustrates what I'm looking for when trying to identify one of these things in real time.

You see an "arm" develops, which bends at the elbow, and folds back in on itself over time, similar to touching your right hand to your right shoulder, with a slightly weaker echo in the center.

Obviously this went unsurveyed and there was no base velocity shear sig. (A very slight one in SRV)

But I'd expect some localized tree damage in something like that for sure.

There was an impressive microburst in Deerfield that crossed I91 and Lower Rd.

This is pretty classic structure at X band and illustrates what I'm looking for when trying to identify one of these things in real time.

You see an "arm" develops, which bends at the elbow, and folds back in on itself over time, similar to touching your right hand to your right shoulder, with a slightly weaker echo in the center.

Obviously this went unsurveyed and there was no base velocity shear sig. (A very slight one in SRV)

But I'd expect some localized tree damage in something like that for sure.

Cool stuff, Do you have any captures from IJD?

so is your job to monitor that RADAR everyday? ie do you do that for a living for UMASS?

Operate, maintain, and monitor, yes. However only for "noteworthy" setups. (generally severe, but also tropical, significant winter, etc.)

For run-of-the-mill stuff I usually just leave it off, unless I'm testing something.

The 4 radar network in Oklahoma (same radars) occupies most of my time, and it's soon to be an 8 radar network in Dallas/Fort Worth, which will really be a lot of work.

I'd love to expand the network in New England, normal lack of severe wx aside, and am currently looking at some ways to do that.

Operate, maintain, and monitor, yes. However only for "noteworthy" setups. (generally severe, but also tropical, significant winter, etc.)

For run-of-the-mill stuff I usually just leave it off, unless I'm testing something.

The 4 radar network in Oklahoma (same radars) occupies most of my time, and it's soon to be an 8 radar network in Dallas/Fort Worth, which will really be a lot of work.

I'd love to expand the network in New England, normal lack of severe wx aside, and am currently looking at some ways to do that.

that's pretty cool. where would you expand in new england?

is that (if you don't mind my asking - if you do mind, i understand and just say so) funded through UMASS and if so what is the connection to OK/TX?

Archived