• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Big -NAO Numbers In For November 2010

It's interesting that despite this most of the East coast finished the month with near normal temperatures.

Last1mTDeptUS.png

This is the usual result of a -NAO November:

post-754-0-32613400-1291408789.gif

post-754-0-71229000-1291408814.gif

The Pacific RNA pattern in both composites (2010 vs historical -NAO November's) shows that the anomaly is largely Pacific-driven.

Nov 64 was some what similar with the warmth running from Texas to the great lakes...

I'm not sure what Wes Junker's method was for calculating, but he presented some composites in a recent thread showing how 1) The NAO has less of a correlation for eastern U.S. temperatures in November than DJF and 2) how eastern U.S. temperatures were notably more sensitive to the Pacific state than the north Atlantic pattern in November.

I just got that off this site

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/data/correlation/

and compared the temperature correlation when I looked at the PNA pattern versus the nao. During Nove the temp departures based on the PNA state were larger than those from the NAO over out area. The NAO temp correlation strengthened in winter D-F which is pretty much what we've seen so far as we're going into to a cold period.

I just got that off this site

http://www.esrl.noaa...ta/correlation/

and compared the temperature correlation when I looked at the PNA pattern versus the nao. During Nove the temp departures based on the PNA state were larger than those from the NAO over out area. The NAO temp correlation strengthened in winter D-F which is pretty much what we've seen so far as we're going into to a cold period.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. Definitely appears to be working out in November and December thus far with the constant -pna/-nao since mid-Nov.

Brooksville Florida hit 28 yesterday...Florida is starting off cold like last year...

Definitely no sign of the SE ridge yet. In fact, the Mid-Atlantic and SE are probably going to have the biggest negative anomalies in the upcoming 2 weeks. Raleigh-Durham had 2" of snow today....weird pattern for a strong Niña, almost acting like a hybrid Niña/Niño winter with a GoA low and then a huge ridge over the Arctic and Greenland.

Archived