• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Blizzard of 2006 Case Study. And analysis between '83, '96 and '06

Chris L

Maybe it's me, but the storm that really stands out to me of late is the 2nd presidents day blizzard...atleast for my area in Queens.

The 2nd one after that would be Feb 24-26 not so much b/c of the accumulation but more b/c of the dynamics in play. It was about the winds. radar depictions, impact on the city with this era technology ; 2 deaths, hurricane like structure w/ a cold core (Snow in NYC) and warm core (Rains in Boston). Poughkeepsie was at 34F while NYC was at 28F

Many areas in the NW Baltimore suburbs recorded 18+ inches. That incredible banding feature set up in a narrow slice of north-central MD too. Where I was in Columbia, MD, I thought the system was going to flop as snow began in the mid/late-afternoon, took a few hours to begin accumulating, and slackened between 9p and 1a. Then the low bombed off the Jersey shore and the bands went to work (in DC/Baltimore, once a storm passes our latitude it's usually lights out) I woke up to loud thunder and near-whiteout conditions at 130a, and it continued like that until around 6a. Measured between 20-24 inches, almost on par with NYC.thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Here's the snowfall total map. Columbia is basically beneath the purple dot in the middle of MD. There should be more purple across Carroll, western and northern Baltimore, and Harford counties.

post-1143-0-74908200-1291406500.png

Ger,

How much did you get from the February 2010 Blizzards?

I was in Columbia for the first storm and measured between 29 and 34 inches in several spots. Let's call it 31- consistent with nearby spotter totals but considerably less than what was measured about 4 miles away in Elkridge (@ almost 40 inches)

For the second storm I was in the NE quadrant of D.C., close to the MD state line, and painstakingly measured, in various spots, 11-15 inches. I'll call it 13: American University in NW measured 14". DCA around 12". I feel comfortable splitting the difference.

Chris L have you considered modifying the Wikipedia page for this storm with some of the brilliant work you've done here?

I've been looking up past biggies on the site, including '96, '03 and and last winter's quadruplets, as well as '06, and have found the synopsis section of each (if they even have a synopsis section, I know '03 doesn't) quite lacking.

I used to have over 400 images archived from that event including models, images, pictures, and post storm analysis. It got lost in a server transfer and it bothers me to this day.

Great link.

That happened to me once, way back when I was first starting to archive stuff. I didn't lose much, fortunately, but I lost enough such that I made sure it'd never happen again. Since that time, I've had the copy saved on my web server, a copy saved on my PC, and a copy saved on my parents' PC.

Archived