Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
One Year Ago Today

thewxmann

MN's greatest outbreak:

http://www.crh.noaa....h/?n=17june2010

^Amazing page put up by the NWS offices up there. Includes radar/satellite data, mesoanalysis, stories, supercell tracks, and writeups on individual tornadoes spawned by each supercell.

Don't forget the number of tornadoes spawned around Grand Forks, ND. About every one of my buddies from that area saw a tornado that day.

A friend and meteorologist from up there blogged about it the other day with pics and videos from his chase.

I am still trying to get the huge group of meteorologists up there in Grand Forks to post more here. I haven't had much luck for whatever reason. The university plus Meridian combined means there are probably over 70+ mets there alone. Cmichweather is our lone constituent.

http://www.bencollin...rnado-outbreak/

The thing I found most striking about the day was how the initial storm that ended up crossing KGFK looked after initiation. We wanted to chase the leading storm rather than the trailing storms as they looked to become more linear. We had no idea the discrete cell to our north (we were WNW of Fargo) had produced. With the updraft tilting downshear from us it didn't look all that impressive.

post-1451-0-04853600-1308490039.jpg

After the storm cycled west of Grand Forks

post-1451-0-27511000-1308490117.jpg

and of course at work, i had the couple of days before that where i was getting my butt kicked left and right because of storms all over the place doing a not-so-normal shift (working my first set of overnights learning on the fly subbing for someone else until a new person was to be trained, the days before my vacation) then i have to make the forecast for ND, SD, MN and see this setup between 00 and 06z.. it was like "if i don't call for an outbreak, i'm going to look like a fool". little did i know, we had the most radio affiliates under a warning of some type in history, think 67 of them at the peak as i understand it. thank god my shift later that night i missed most of the maddness.

Archived