• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Why are we still using 1971-2000 norms?...LWX?

Deck Pic

Why?...It's almost June...is it that hard to average 30 numbers?

I hope they don't smooth the norms again, but I have a feeling they will

Release of the basic set of normals is due in October and the extended normals set is due April 2012. In a couple weeks we'll have a better idea where they are on the new normals as NCDC is set to provide an update. The last set wasn't finalized until 2002 if I recall correctly, so it seems like we're on a similar schedule. From what I understand, the spline interpolation method is not being used for this set, but instead will use a moving average centered on each day of the year. As far as smoothing, it's hard to say what degree it has been used because they haven't made the input data sets public (they aren't necessarily the same as the climate data publicly available). There's a chance that they will release that data set this time around to provide a little more transparency into the process. The reason it takes this long is they go through the generated normals and do comparisons to see if there are any errors or big changes from the last set. A bit of quality control is done which adds a bit of time. Not to mention climate data takes about three months or so to be certified as official, so you figure they didn't even have the full 30 years of data until March or April at the earliest.

Release of the basic set of normals is due in October and the extended normals set is due April 2012. In a couple weeks we'll have a better idea where they are on the new normals as NCDC is set to provide an update. The last set wasn't finalized until 2002 if I recall correctly, so it seems like we're on a similar schedule. From what I understand, the spline interpolation method is not being used for this set, but instead will use a moving average centered on each day of the year. As far as smoothing, it's hard to say what degree it has been used because they haven't made the input data sets public (they aren't necessarily the same as the climate data publicly available). There's a chance that they will release that data set this time around to provide a little more transparency into the process. The reason it takes this long is they go through the generated normals and do comparisons to see if there are any errors or big changes from the last set. A bit of quality control is done which adds a bit of time. Not to mention climate data takes about three months or so to be certified as official, so you figure they didn't even have the full 30 years of data until March or April at the earliest.

Thanks....makes sense

Archived