• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
How warm/hot will it get in NYC this week? May 23-27

Shades

Heat or Seasonable? Predict high temperature for NYC.  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How warm/hot will it get in NYC? Predict high temperature for Central Park this week between May 23-27...

• 90 or higher multiple (2 or more) days this week
    • 90 or higher one day this week
    • 85-89 multiple days this week
    • 85-89 one day this week
    • 80-84 multiple days this week
    • 80-84 one day this week
    • <80 all week

This poll is going to close tonight, make your vote if you haven’t. As it stands now, more members are in favor of it only topping 80 degrees one day this week. A far different forecast than what was expected. We’ll see how this transpires, but any heat looks to be short lived (at least this week)… it’s still possible we are underestimating the clearing between the shortwaves affecting us this week. It may only be a matter of timing to find a gap of westerly/southwesterly winds and clear skies during the daylight hours to have more than one day above 80 to be realized.

Between members, it's a close tie between multiple days of 80-84, and one day of 80-84. Although by no wide margin, several members also believe that a high in the mid to upper 80s is possible at least once this week, and one member has stuck with a call of 90 degrees or higher being achieved this week in NYC. I'm going to close the poll, since we are already into the week... we'll see how the heat commences...

I'll post back with the winners at the end of the week.

Edit: Poll will close at midnight.

This poll was supposed to have closed Monday night, members who voted with late entries are not cool even if they voted warm. In other words,... a few members have gone past the deadline. My board abilities though are limited and I couldn't figure out how to close the poll officially, even messaged Earthlight but with no response. As it were... temperature has not surpassed 84 degrees this week... so everyone who voted multiple days of 80-84, are in the run for the win, but up ahead are another couple of warm-hot(?) days that could do 85 or better this week. The spread of the votes suggest this tight call since it could easily flip on either side of 85. The few who voted 90(+) also are not too far out on the limb... that said, maybe if this poll was for next week, there would (will?) be a better shot.

Highs in NYC (Central Park) thus far:

Monday: 61

Tuesday: 81

Wednesday: 84

Thursday: ??

Friday: ??

LOSERS so far who voted 80-84 one day this week: bma26 user_popup.png, Brian5671 user_popup.png, midtownsnow user_popup.png, BlueSkiesFading user_popup.png, TheTrials user_popup.png, supermeh user_popup.png, Wannabehippie user_popup.png

78 was the high today for the Park.

Thursday: 78

Friday: ??

Tomorrow (Friday) is the last day for those who voted 85(+) to boot out the majority who voted for temperatures 80-84 this week. The southerly flow/marine influence will be in the battle again to potentially mitigate that reading, although the fog/low clouds may not be as prevelant, which could allow it to eclipse 85 even at the Park tomorrow. OKX is forecasting a high in the mid to upper 80s...

Has NYC hit 85 today?

Looks like whoever voted 80-84 will win this one.

No 85 today in NYC, and unless the wind shifts to come off the land in the next couple hours, looks like the lid was put on high temperatures from exceeding 84 in NYC all week by the flow off the Atlantic. High today in Central Park (not yet official): 82

A little irony to this, despite the voting not having closed - even though it should have ended (Earthlight just contacted me today via PM about it), some members still voted late (against the established voting period) on the hotter side, so the rally for heat at the end could not even be claimed.

I'll post again later tonight when the high becomes official. Then I'll save the winners/losers statistics and keep the record (wins/losses) for any other forthcoming polls. I think a similar poll will be interesting to vote/follow for next week...

Curious to see if those who voted hot will keep with their confidence for next week.

The High for NYC on Friday was 83.

Which breaks down the week:

Thursday: 78

Friday: 83

Poll winners for the week (those who forecasted multiple days of 80-84):

thumbsupsmileyanim.gifweight_lift.gifShades , Snow88 , ag3 , Thunderdude , soap , Plfdwxdude , Quincy , uncle W , Fantom X weight_lift.gifthumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Congrats. I will keep tally of Wins/Losses for each season to make it more interesting, you could win the label/title of PollMeister (or something like that). Another poll is coming up shortly, with another question of heat for the upcoming week. This time instead of a range, the question will focus on the actual highest temperature recorded for the week. Also thinking about making it a two-parter, with more than one location.

Thanks to everyone who voted/contributed.

Archived