• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Severe weather radar archives

If you were looking to keep an archive of radar from, say, your opinion of the ten biggest/most significant weather events, what would you get? They can be large scale events (i.e. derecho) or a single significant tornado (i.e. Greensburg), or maybe even just something odd that you remember.

Just looking for opinions (i.e. suggestions for non-busy storm-time viewing)...

Thanks,

Scott

Damn, what is that? o_O

wigusts53198.jpg

Maximum wind gusts in mph associated with the May 30-31 derecho in Wisconsin. Measured gust values are red and estimated gust values are black [Modified version of a map prepared by NWS Warning Coordination Meteorologists Rusty Kapela (Sullivan/Milwaukee, WI), Jeff Last (Green Bay, WI), and Todd Shea (LaCrosse, WI)].

1998may31mimap550.jpg

Area of Lower Michigan affected by the worst damage from the May 30-31, 1998 derecho. Red numbers are maximum measured wind gusts in mph. Orange numbers are estimated maximum gusts in mph, based on a damage survey by Grand Rapids NWS Forecast Office meteorologists. Thirteen Michigan counties (noted in black lettering and within light blue border) together were declared a Federal Disaster Area by the Federal Emergency Managers Association. The purple "S" represents where a "seiche" took place on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

http://spc.noaa.gov/misc/AbtDerechos/casepages/may30-311998page.htm

wigusts53198.jpg

Maximum wind gusts in mph associated with the May 30-31 derecho in Wisconsin. Measured gust values are red and estimated gust values are black [Modified version of a map prepared by NWS Warning Coordination Meteorologists Rusty Kapela (Sullivan/Milwaukee, WI), Jeff Last (Green Bay, WI), and Todd Shea (LaCrosse, WI)].

1998may31mimap550.jpg

Area of Lower Michigan affected by the worst damage from the May 30-31, 1998 derecho. Red numbers are maximum measured wind gusts in mph. Orange numbers are estimated maximum gusts in mph, based on a damage survey by Grand Rapids NWS Forecast Office meteorologists. Thirteen Michigan counties (noted in black lettering and within light blue border) together were declared a Federal Disaster Area by the Federal Emergency Managers Association. The purple "S" represents where a "seiche" took place on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan.

http://spc.noaa.gov/...-311998page.htm

That is utterly ridiculous. Perhaps there were some isolated microbursts?

If you were looking to keep an archive of radar from, say, your opinion of the ten biggest/most significant weather events, what would you get? They can be large scale events (i.e. derecho) or a single significant tornado (i.e. Greensburg), or maybe even just something odd that you remember.

Just looking for opinions (i.e. suggestions for non-busy storm-time viewing)...

Thanks,

Scott

Superstrom Derecho of 92-93 would be my severe weather event pick.

My novelty pick would be the radar shots from the morning of January 8, 2010 across Central Florida showing the different winter precip types that occurred over the area.

If we're talking about derecho events, then the Adriondack blowdown of 1995 was pretty sick. Of course, it took place the summer AFTER I left NWSFO Albany. I remember being on the midnight shift at MLB reading the MCD which talked about a large scale bow moving SE through southern Ontario at about 70 knots, so I called a good friend who was on duty there. They were just waiting to carpet bomb the warnings, since it was a no-brainer that this thing was gonna cut through their CWA like a giant scythe. There was a MASSIVE area of 64kt+ on the 0.5 BVEL from the Griffis AFB 88D (KRMX, which is now at Montague). I don't think ALY changed the velocity increment on either KRMX or KENX (Albany-East Berne) for this event. I think they were an APUP to RMX...so I dunno if they had that ability back then. As a result, 64 was as high as the scale went on BVEL imagery from either one IIRC.

I still have the LSR for that event in my locker. I think 4 or 5 peeps were kiiled by falling trees while out camping.

My novelty pick would be the radar shots from the morning of January 8, 2010 across Central Florida showing the different winter precip types that occurred over the area.

+1

I forecast the 9 JAN event and worked it as well. It was sick. I actually forecast snow/sleet 60 hours in advance, and had to put out an advisory for freezing drizzle for some of our northern counties - only one ever issued this far south in the history of our agency, I think. Temps started out in the mid 30s north to lower 40s south and then fell slowly due to evaporative cooling as the initial surge of mid level overrunning moisture fell into dry lower levels. As a low pres wave passed over south central FL, clouds thickened and temps went absolutely nowhere with chilly northerly flow undercutting the overrunning moisture. We had 35F and sleet in MLB at 230 PM in the afternoon. Don't think there'll be a setup that good again until at least after I retire.

http://www.easternus...entral-florida/

Prelim_Reports_GE_Graphic.JPG

Archived