• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Why the Carolina Outbreak was so strong

wxbrad

I would include some of the upper-level dynamics in play as well (500mb vort max, neg. tilt trough, UL jet). Grab some images off of twisterdata.com (top right - choose a model run like the 18z NAM from 4/16... this is time sensitive and will only last another couple of days). I pulled a bunch of the 12z and 18z NAM charts off the site if you need them.

I would include some of the upper-level dynamics in play as well (500mb vort max, neg. tilt trough, UL jet). Grab some images off of twisterdata.com (top right - choose a model run like the 18z NAM from 4/16... this is time sensitive and will only last another couple of days). I pulled a bunch of the 12z and 18z NAM charts off the site if you need them.

Yeah agree those are all very important to the set-up, but was trying to focus on more of the mesoscale reasoning for such a conducive environment for tornadoes, especially long track.

I've pull quite a few charts already will likely include that in my shear section, thanks for the feedback!

Brad

Yeah agree those are all very important to the set-up, but was trying to focus on more of the mesoscale reasoning for such a conducive environment for tornadoes, especially long track.

I've pull quite a few charts already will likely include that in my shear section, thanks for the feedback!

Brad

Good deal... I just remember looking at the upper-levels on the 11th/12th and I knew that we'd be in for something big on the 16th based on these charts and a few other indications.

What was the surface CAPE at the height of the outbreak? Did it ever make it over 2500 j/kg? If there was capping CIN in place before the main outbreak it helped keep the atmosphere primed. If the CAPE was at say 4500 j/kg, it could have been a wash and maybe we would have seen less well defined independent supercells.

Also I know you talked about helecity and and all the sheer parameters but take a look at that hodograph?... pretty impressive.

What was the surface CAPE at the height of the outbreak? Did it ever make it over 2500 j/kg? If there was capping CIN in place before the main outbreak it helped keep the atmosphere primed. If the CAPE was at say 4500 j/kg, it could have been a wash and maybe we would have seen less well defined independent supercells.

Also I know you talked about helecity and and all the sheer parameters but take a look at that hodograph?... pretty impressive.

From what I saw on the mesoanalysis, it was 1,000 to 1,500 J/kg SB and ML CAPE

Archived