• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Americanwx WRF model not running?

Hey guys (and Cory)!

I have been using our custom made WRF model for some time to get a good idea what the cloud cover was going to be like over WxChallenge locations, but I noticed that it stopped updating on March, 11th. Any reason why we aren't getting any new runs? It seems like nobody has really noticed. arrowheadsmiley.png

Hey guys (and Cory)!

I have been our custom made WRF model for some time to get a good idea what the cloud cover was going to be like over WxChallenge locations, but I noticed that it stopped updating on March, 11th. Any reason why we aren't getting any new runs? It seems like nobody has really noticed. arrowheadsmiley.png

Yeah I think you're the 3rd person to notice it in that amount of timearrowheadsmiley.png. I moved to Nebraska and the computers are in a moving truck on their way here.

Yeah I think you're the 3rd person to notice it in that amount of timearrowheadsmiley.png. I moved to Nebraska and the computers are in a moving truck on their way here.

Excellent, looking forward to having the model back up. Thanks for all the work you have been doing to maintain the model. weight_lift.gif Maybe we can find a way to get some custom Americanwx tropical cyclone WRF runs like you have been doing in the past in house. ;)

• 5 weeks later...

The AmericanWX WRF will be running again today with the 12Z run. After hooking up the computer when the movers dropped it off, I was presented with a friendly screen telling me everything was gone, so I reinstalled everything for the third time. drunk.gif

I'll be upgrading us to the latest model version soon, and will hopefully have a fix for our clustering problem so we can get this thing to a useful high resolution as originally intended. I apologize for the long delay in getting it working.

Oh, and we need to switch our graphics output to GrADS, which I don't know much about. The current NCL method I'm using takes way too long. If anyone is willing to donate GrADS scripts, it would be appreciated.

First suggestion would be to download/install ARWPOST:

http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/users/graphics/ARWpost/ARWpost.htm

This takes in the wrfout files and converts them to format for GrADS and creates a control file. It also has a lot of the subroutines that computes variables that are not explicitly output from WRF.

I can help you put together some scripts. PM me and give me an idea of you're looking for. I'm pretty busy these days but I can offer some help where needed.

The AmericanWX WRF will be running again today with the 12Z run. After hooking up the computer when the movers dropped it off, I was presented with a friendly screen telling me everything was gone, so I reinstalled everything for the third time. drunk.gif

I'll be upgrading us to the latest model version soon, and will hopefully have a fix for our clustering problem so we can get this thing to a useful high resolution as originally intended. I apologize for the long delay in getting it working.

Oh, and we need to switch our graphics output to GrADS, which I don't know much about. The current NCL method I'm using takes way too long. If anyone is willing to donate GrADS scripts, it would be appreciated.

First suggestion would be to download/install ARWPOST:

http://www.mmm.ucar....ost/ARWpost.htm

This takes in the wrfout files and converts them to format for GrADS and creates a control file. It also has a lot of the subroutines that computes variables that are not explicitly output from WRF.

I can help you put together some scripts. PM me and give me an idea of you're looking for. I'm pretty busy these days but I can offer some help where needed.

I have it creating the GrADS files, I just don't have any graphics scripts worth crap and I'm not familiar enough with the language yet. I'll PM you in a bit. Thanks!

Well, it generated all the maps, failed to upload them, then deleted them all. I have them regenerating. Getting really sick of this ****. I've never had so many technical problems in my life as I've had with this.

I think I may be able to help... it depends on what you need. Could you PM me a link to a sample full dataset (preferably a zip file)?

I think I may be able to help... it depends on what you need. Could you PM me a link to a sample full dataset (preferably a zip file)?

I'm pretty much looking for the fields that we're displaying now, if possible.

This thing is now freezing up halfway through the upload and I'm not sure why. gun_bandana.gif

I'm pretty much looking for the fields that we're displaying now, if possible.

This thing is now freezing up halfway through the upload and I'm not sure why. gun_bandana.gif

Can you send me the scripts you have now or give me some kind of read access to the server or something? It's kind of hard for me to troubleshoot a problem or provide scripts when I don't even know what I'm working with.

Oh, and please disregard the restrictions I made in the PM a few months ago. However, I would like it if for this winter (beginning in November) and later you would start outputting your runs to publicly-available GrADS-compatible files (GRIB).

I don't know if you wanted to do this, but here's a script for Skew Ts that my Synoptic Professor put together.. This may help some: http://moe.met.fsu.e...tware/skew.html

I'm sure you could also email him for help since he puts together a TON of scripts for GRADS. Also, I still may have some of my scripts from school that might be able to help... I'll let you know when I get home tomorrow morning :lol:

EDIT: Oh, here is a site I looked at a TON last year while learning it: http://grads.iges.org/grads/

This may also be of help: http://grads.iges.org/grads/gadoc/ There is also a forum you can join to ask for help from people who use it more frequently.

Actually just give me a full set of .ctl files (no need to give me the GRIBs or the IDXs). I can make scripts that look somewhat like the images you already generate if I only know the info in there. As it stands, I don't even know the exact variable abbreviations your model is outputting.

Actually just give me a full set of .ctl files (no need to give me the GRIBs or the IDXs). I can make scripts that look somewhat like the images you already generate if I only know the info in there. As it stands, I don't even know the exact variable abbreviations your model is outputting.

I'll upload them when I get a chance and let you know. I've been dealing with FTP errors and segmentation faults for the past 2 days and I'm ready to take up drinking. blink.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Are we tropical season ready?

The model is probably not going to be the best for strong tropical systems because I don't have a cyclone bogussing scheme installed, but is capable of handling relatively weaker systems that it develops in the limited ocean areas of the domain or that pass into it from the outside (the model ingests near real-time high resolution SSTs with each run, by the way).

Now that I finally figured out some very puzzling and aggravating bugs, the next big project is getting the graphics changed over, which I need to get back with these two guys about.

Archived