• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NW NJ spring 2011

Nice pics Bob. Typical NW NJ at it again and now your under a winter storm watch for 4-8" of snow. enjoy bro :thumbsup::snowman:

I hated this time of year when I lived in NJ. 70 one day, snowing 6-8 hours later. Drove me nuts when it would be 70 or whatever, I'd be wearing shorts, go somewhere, get sidetracked, and then on the way home it's snowing and I'm freezing my ass in the car waiting for the heat to kick in. LOL.

I hated this time of year when I lived in NJ. 70 one day, snowing 6-8 hours later. Drove me nuts when it would be 70 or whatever, I'd be wearing shorts, go somewhere, get sidetracked, and then on the way home it's snowing and I'm freezing my ass in the car waiting for the heat to kick in. LOL.

Got to love the Northeast region, LOL. I still remember big snows in mid April around the 20th or so in the early to mid 80's in Lafayette. Wild stuff for sure.

Got to love the Northeast region, LOL. I still remember big snows in mid April around the 20th or so in the early to mid 80's in Lafayette. Wild stuff for sure.

4/19/83, was down from Maine visiting friends, 11" in Ogdensburg (Sussex Cty) witgh accumulating snow thru the daylight hr, only time I saw that in NJ, though it had happened the year before in the 4/6 blizz. Our next visit was in 1986, and on 4/23 we measured 13" in Blairstown, at about 1,200' - only 5-6" slop down at 500'. We figured no one would ever let us visit again, at least not in April.

4/19/83, was down from Maine visiting friends, 11" in Ogdensburg (Sussex Cty) witgh accumulating snow thru the daylight hr, only time I saw that in NJ, though it had happened the year before in the 4/6 blizz. Our next visit was in 1986, and on 4/23 we measured 13" in Blairstown, at about 1,200' - only 5-6" slop down at 500'. We figured no one would ever let us visit again, at least not in April.

:lol: Cant blame them right? Yeah the 4/19/.83 event I was supposed to go to mid town manhattan at MSG to see the circus but the snow kept us from doing that. It is amazing that much snow fell that late in the year but yeah totally elevated dependent for sure. Anyone south of Jefferson got hosed I think, I dont recall much but I know where we were we got a lot of snow

Nice pics Bob, over 50" for the season. To me it is so easy to recognize the hills there around your area, they look so different from the sussex county hills lol

Thanks (Dave? Changed name from the other board) I havent updated my total. Its 61.5 as of today. I have more than High Point so far. And in the one Pic, That is a hill from Sussex, Sparta Mountain in the back round. LOL

Thanks (Dave? Changed name from the other board) I havent updated my total. Its 61.5 as of today. I have more than High Point so far. And in the one Pic, That is a hill from Sussex, Sparta Mountain in the back round. LOL

Yeah you are correct, its me, new name from eastern. Haqve you really had more than High Point? Holy sh*t, thats impressive.

Well sparta mtn is kind of in line with the reservoir hills, LOL.

Sweet pics though bro, nice job :thumbsup:

Those are beautiful pics, fantastic countryside, always loved that area from Franklin Lakes all the way north to High Point, becomes very scenic and peaceful. I also enjoy your posts immensely because you and I share similar observations in terms of precip type and temps though you are obviously a little colder. But I am still ahead on snow this year with 69.5" devilsmiley.gif

BTW Tamarack, how much did extreme NNJ like High Point see in 4/24/1967 and the subsequent snowfall on 4/27/1967? I remember the picture of your car with the date written in the 3.5" that fell that day, just ridiculous to be accumulating snow in daylight at essentially NYC's latitude days from May. Do you have memories of what region-wide totals were like? I think about .2" was recorded here on 4/24, the latest snow I can find, although I believe we did have flakes on 5/10/1977 in that wicked Nor'easter.

NW NJ is always an awesome place for early and late season snow. I'll never forget the snow I saw at High Point in the 2nd week of October 09

I drove to NE PA for that storm, only like .5" fell at our house at 1500' but there was about 3" of snow above 2200' on the ridges of Wayne County. Beautiful sight with the maples still blazing red.

Yeah you are correct, its me, new name from eastern. Haqve you really had more than High Point? Holy sh*t, thats impressive.

Well sparta mtn is kind of in line with the reservoir hills, LOL.

Sweet pics though bro, nice job :thumbsup:

Dave, High point has around 50" They have been to far NW with the precip this year. Go about 4 miles to my east and over to Nzucker, they have gotten more than me. The 12/26 storm gave them on avg. 10" more ( I had about 13" and 4-5 miles east had 22" or more).

Those are beautiful pics, fantastic countryside, always loved that area from Franklin Lakes all the way north to High Point, becomes very scenic and peaceful. I also enjoy your posts immensely because you and I share similar observations in terms of precip type and temps though you are obviously a little colder. But I am still ahead on snow this year with 69.5" devilsmiley.gif

BTW Tamarack, how much did extreme NNJ like High Point see in 4/24/1967 and the subsequent snowfall on 4/27/1967? I remember the picture of your car with the date written in the 3.5" that fell that day, just ridiculous to be accumulating snow in daylight at essentially NYC's latitude days from May. Do you have memories of what region-wide totals were like? I think about .2" was recorded here on 4/24, the latest snow I can find, although I believe we did have flakes on 5/10/1977 in that wicked Nor'easter.

Hard to get good numbers up here from years ago (even now for some of the reservoirs ) they check once a day. so if it mixes or changes to rain you get a smaller amount.

Hard to get good numbers up here from years ago (even now for some of the reservoirs ) they check once a day. so if it mixes or changes to rain you get a smaller amount.

The 2nd paragraph may explain what I see as some odd records of the two events. However, I think the 4/24 snow, coming on the back end of a coastal storm, was more widespread and fell during the afternoon. My major puzzlement is the zero snowfall on 4/27 recorded by Sussex, Pt.J, and Oak Ridge, despite their getting the precip and the near-to-below freezing minima. Maybe theirs had melted by obs time - mine was gone by noon. Ten days later (5/7) Sussex, Pt.J, and High Pt recorded trace amounts, and though I've found no stations recording it, some elevations in PA got a couple inches on 5/7, as recounted by some well-chilled trout-seeking co-workers. (Aside: Nearly all the 3.0" I had on 4/27 fell during the wee hours, though it continued until about 8 AM.)

..................4/24.....4/27

Sussex......2.3.......0

Pt.J...........3.5.......0

HighPt.......0.5.....2.5

Canistear...0.......1.0

Char'burg...0.......1.0

OakRidge...2.0......0

Gr'woodLk..3.5....1.5

Mor.Pl'ns.....0.5....1.5

Kinnelon.....1.5....3.0 (MBY. Also had some IP on 5/7.)

Edit: Appearently two of the three reservoirs, Oak Ridge and Canistear, aren't reporting snow - nothing since 2007 (OR) or 2008 (Can), at least not in the Utah Climate Center. Charlotteburg's records have become very spotty and of little use, but have not ceased altogether. I think it's awful when long-record stations stop reporting, though I know money is usually the factor. Here in Maine, the only station for which I've found 3/1888 records (Gardiner, data back thru 1884) appears to have ceased reporting last October. Grrrr!

The 2nd paragraph may explain what I see as some odd records of the two events. However, I think the 4/24 snow, coming on the back end of a coastal storm, was more widespread and fell during the afternoon. My major puzzlement is the zero snowfall on 4/27 recorded by Sussex, Pt.J, and Oak Ridge, despite their getting the precip and the near-to-below freezing minima. Maybe theirs had melted by obs time - mine was gone by noon. Ten days later (5/7) Sussex, Pt.J, and High Pt recorded trace amounts, and though I've found no stations recording it, some elevations in PA got a couple inches on 5/7, as recounted by some well-chilled trout-seeking co-workers. (Aside: Nearly all the 3.0" I had on 4/27 fell during the wee hours, though it continued until about 8 AM.)

..................4/24.....4/27

Sussex......2.3.......0

Pt.J...........3.5.......0

HighPt.......0.5.....2.5

Canistear...0.......1.0

Char'burg...0.......1.0

OakRidge...2.0......0

Gr'woodLk..3.5....1.5

Mor.Pl'ns.....0.5....1.5

Kinnelon.....1.5....3.0 (MBY. Also had some IP on 5/7.)

Edit: Appearently two of the three reservoirs, Oak Ridge and Canistear, aren't reporting snow - nothing since 2007 (OR) or 2008 (Can), at least not in the Utah Climate Center. Charlotteburg's records have become very spotty and of little use, but have not ceased altogether. I think it's awful when long-record stations stop reporting, though I know money is usually the factor. Here in Maine, the only station for which I've found 3/1888 records (Gardiner, data back thru 1884) appears to have ceased reporting last October. Grrrr!

This is why its hard. LOL last yr only 10"

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/monthlydata/tsnw/charlotteburg.html

http://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim_v1/monthlydata/index.html

Thanks for the links; the 2nd one has been added to my faves.

Char'burg had a whole lot more than 10", but I'm more sad than LOL. Some samples of omissions/msgs:

12/20/09....msg...msg...0.45"....0 (Sussex had 3" on 0.20" LE and high of 23.)

2/10/10.......40.......24.....0.04"....msg

2/11/10.......32.......24.....0.67"....msg

2/26/10......msg....msg..msg....msg (Sussex had 15.5", Pt.J had 25.5".)

I'd guess that Char'burg's total for the above days was in the neighborhood of 30".

• 2 weeks later...

since i moved to warren county, ive been looking for bears everyday on my drive to and from work.... to no avail.

First one I have seen since xmas morning. All you need is people on your block that put garbage out the night before pick up in a plastic bag :arrowhead: Then b!tch about them taking it

• 1 month later...

Archived