• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Chasing Thread

I know we have a lot of storm chasers here in the Central/Western side and I figured (stole the idea from ST) that I would create a Storm Chasing thread, especially with the way this upcoming Spring Severe Weather season is looking.

I started chasing in 2009, got a few really good chases in during 2010 (June, 6th, 2010 Illinois Outbreak). I'm hoping to get some chase time in again this year, and me and a few of my friends have even talked about taking a few days and taking a road trip to the Plains when a good set-up looks possible. I have enough forecasting responsibility with radio stations across Indiana now that I almost need to chase when severe weather isn't possible in Indiana.

I'll post my chase set-up and maybe some pictures later today.

• 2 weeks later...

Set-up:

• Computer/Internet:
    • Acer Extensa 5620Z
    • Verizon PC Card

[*]GPS/Tracking:

• Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS
    • BU-353 GPS Puck
    • GPS Gate
    • Spotter Network

[*]Pics/Video:

• Canon EOS Rebel T1i/500D(18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses)
    • Samsung MX20 Camcorder

[*]Streaming/Brokering:

• Samsung MX20 Camcorder
    • SevereStudios
    • KDR Media(Maybe)

[*]Data:

• Inspeed Vortex Anemometer
    • GrLevel2AE
    • GrLevel3
    • Allison House

[*]Miscellaneous:

• Mini Light Bar

I have been chasing for around 7 years now. For those first couple years I would just chase "naked" A basic cell phone, road map and weather radio were all I used. I did quite well using just these basic items as long as I had a good person to call for now casting support. Now having added a netbook with mobile internet, gps and a smartphone..I have noticed it really lowers the skill set for storm chasing, compared to what it use to be. Instead of looking at the visuals in the sky, people are glued to their computer more often in a chase. Anybody with the right amount of money and equipment can be a storm chaser now.

Has anyone tethered with the Evo 4g or any other 4g android phones? I imagine when the MOT Xoom enables flash this month and the blackberry playbook is released (with flash), folks will really have a great 4g experience on the go.

That would be my set-up!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Since I am planning on chasing more seriously this year than I have in the past (just purchased a brand new SUV!) what type of camcorder/webcam does everyone use to stream?

Other than that, I am running a MSI laptop (love it), dual wireless cards (1 sprint, 1 verizon), Sony Handycam, StormLab, Interwarn, GrLevel3 & AE, Dual Motorola CDM 1250 Ham & VHF band radio, probably forgetting some other stuff, but that's the main set-up so far.

* The Ride:
         o 1997 Subaru Legacy GT wagon (AWD FT"MF"W)
   * Computer:
         o HP
   * GPS/Tracking:
         o Garmin GPS V (geocaching & back-up)
         o BU-353 GPS Puck (the ONLY way to go)
         o DeLorme Street Atlas (the ONLY way to go)
         o GPS Gate  (the ONLY way to go)
         o Spotter Network
   * Pics/Video:
         o Canon 7D HDSLR (28-135mm EF-S)
         o Canon Rebel XT DSLR (28-80mm EF)
   * Internet Access/Communications:
         o Sprint SERO true unlimited
         o Sierra u597 data card
         o Yaseau Dual Band (VHF/UHF) mobile amateur radio
         o Cell phone - Verizon
   * Streaming/Brokering:
         o Sony TRV-260 (via firewire)
         o Microsoft webcam (via USB)
         o ChaserTV (iMap testing underway)
         o WeatherWarriorMedia (aka ME)
   * Data:
         o GrLevel3
         o Allison House
   * Miscellaneous:
         o light camping gear
         o cooler full of food (I don't dine-out when on the road).
         o One...maybe two [s]chumps[/s]...ahhhh AmWX members tagging along...LOL (J/K guys).
   * Missing (not going):
         o no WX station this year
         o no lightbars stickers, stripes, etc. (going low key).

This is just the gear I'm bringing to the table for the chase. There will be an additional laptop, Verizon Smartphone with tethering, an additional HD video camera. There could additionally be an iPad, Canon 60D (I think), maybe more.

Has anyone tethered with the Evo 4g or any other 4g android phones? I imagine when the MOT Xoom enables flash this month and the blackberry playbook is released (with flash), folks will really have a great 4g experience on the go.

That would be my set-up!

I tether my samsung moment all the time. It is a rooted phone but I know that the evo has tethering without being rooted (for a fee with sprint) otherwise you could easily root it and be set to go.

However, you're not going to get very much 4g coverage chasing. I'd imagine 4g is limited to rather large cities at this time and you'll probably have some trouble getting 3g away from interstates.

That would be my set-up!

We did root an Evo and flashed a close to stock ROM that included the Sprint Wifi Hotspot App. Very simple to set up and tether.

4G on a wifi tether has worked very well in the Chicago area. On a chase last Sunday, we did get into some back roads north of I-80 in Iowa. There was one pocket where all coverage fell off, but otherwise 3G worked fine.

The last few years, I was running a Sierra Wireless 595U through Sprint. That seemed to even pull coverage on roaming networks. It was an unlimited data plan, but I let it go over the winter.

Archived