• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
What is the driest day in your city?

For Portland...

The record highest rainfall on August 4th is 0.04", set in 2004.

The runner-up is July 23rd, whose record is 0.06", set in 1959.

And finally, third is August 8th, whose record is 0.08" set in 1985.

A thunderstorm on any of those days would smash the daily record rainfall. :arrowhead:

No surprise that the lowest daily record high precip days around here occurred in the cold season. Here's the top 3 for LAF and Chicago.

LAF (I'll use the WL COOP which has data going back to 1901)

Feb 8, 1901: 0.55"

Dec 26, 1949: 0.57"

Dec 16, 1940: 0.59"

Chicago

Dec 25, 1950: 0.50"

Feb 29, 1976: 0.55"*

Jan 16, 1885: 0.56"

Nov 15, 1927: 0.63"

For Washington, DC, it appears to be February 5, at 0.80 inches. However, I think a better measure of driest day is average rainfall for the historical record. By that measure, October 11 in DC is the driest, at 0.05 inches per day, with February 5 at 0.09 inches trailing several days. Similarly, October 11's maximum of 1.10 inches exceeds a few other days. On another thread, I've raised the issue of why precipitation in DC has varied so much on two nearby August days -- 0.33 average on August 12 vs. 0.09 average on August 15; see http://www.americanw...-washington-dc/

There are quite few days down here where NO rain has fallen during the period of record (back to 1895) most of them occurring during the period of late April into mid June.

Steve

That's pretty amazing. I knew some areas (Atacama desert) had days with no rain in their entire period of record, but I didn't realize that would be the case in AZ.

There are quite few days down here where NO rain has fallen during the period of record (back to 1895) most of them occurring during the period of late April into mid June.

Steve

I think you're looking at the daily normals, which DO have a few 0.00s in there. But, there are no days with 0.00" in daily extremes.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/twc/climate/tus.php

Looking at the Tucson daily extremes table, it appears that April 26 has come the closest to no rain at all, with the maximum having been 0.03 inches.

Yep.

The 0.04" at PDX looks mighty impressive comparatively, but to be fair, the TUS records go back to the 1890s, whereas Portland's only go back to the 1940s.

That's pretty amazing. I knew some areas (Atacama desert) had days with no rain in their entire period of record, but I didn't realize that would be the case in AZ.

Only in Southern AZ and mostly in the Desert. Then there's Bagdad CA which went 700+ days without any rain. BTW you might be interested to know that the latest issue fo Weatherwise has an article about the tornado history of Oregon.

Steve

Only in Southern AZ and mostly in the Desert. Then there's Bagdad CA which went 700+ days without any rain. BTW you might be interested to know that the latest issue fo Weatherwise has an article about the tornado history of Oregon.

Steve

Really? I mean, we've had a few big tornadoes, and a lot of smaller ones (usually in winter), but we don't really have much in the way of "tornado history". Except April 1972.

Then again, the tornado which struck 'downtown' Aumsville, OR this past winter was pretty impressive for a Western Oregon twister.

Really? I mean, we've had a few big tornadoes, and a lot of smaller ones (usually in winter), but we don't really have much in the way of "tornado history". Except April 1972.

Then again, the tornado which struck 'downtown' Aumsville, OR this past winter was pretty impressive for a Western Oregon twister.

From the late 19th Century to the present, there are 146 documented tornadoes that have occurred in OR according to the article.

Steve

Archived