• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
US Corn Belt Braces for Major Flooding in Spring

One of the snowiest winters on record for the Midwest and northern U.S. Plains have crop watchers worried about a repeat of the massive flooding that hit one of the world's top grain producing regions in 2008

Accumulated precipitation this winter through the end of February, from northern Iowa into the southern two-thirds of Minnesota and westward to the Dakotas, ranged from 125 percent of normal to well over 200 percent, meteorologists say.That raises the risk of major flooding, especially in the big corn, spring wheat and soybean areas of North Dakota's Red River Valley and the upper Mississippi River region.

..............One of our biggest points of concern is St. Paul where we are looking at a one in two chance of seeing a record flood," said Diane Cooper, NWS hydrologist for the Twin Cities office.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/41914871

We can only hope that come April perhaps the active pattern can stabalize some although I do fear once this pattern locks in (as it has) it may be the trend into summer with the wet soil feedback. I hope not, can only hope that this pattern breaks some to give our farmers a chance to earn a buck. Seems like most are calling for a very wet spring in your part ala typical la nina.

Worse flooding that 08 would be spell disaster for farmers and the economy as we will have to import more grains and export much less. Along with rising fuel costs this could really derail the economy and send things spiraling back to where we were. I hate to think that but I am already writing this spring off as a loss...oh well, hopefully be moved to Texas in 2012.

Extended GFS just keeps showing a parade of storms hitting the Midwest and Ohio Valley areas this March. Flooding and increasing chances for svr wx will become a legitmate concern.

I guess the only thing that might help...maybe, if the nao goes into the tank like JB says. I would think that might have a suppressing effect on things maybe not, but never the less, this wet pattern should it run into May could have serious implications on the summer pattern by keeping things cooler yes, but effin muggy as hell...personally I'll take the heat over the humidity and wet weather mosquitos.

Hard to think spring when fantasyland shows stuff liken this....mang!

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/leads_images/Models/GFS/CON/CP/large/surface/2011030518_CON_GFS_SFC_SLP_THK_PRECIP_WINDS_204.gif

Worse flooding that 08 would be spell disaster for farmers and the economy as we will have to import more grains and export much less. Along with rising fuel costs this could really derail the economy and send things spiraling back to where we were. I hate to think that but I am already writing this spring off as a loss...oh well, hopefully be moved to Texas in 2012.

Every year you're moving somewhere else in the next year. lol What happened to you moving to Georgia?

Archived