• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Chase from Carolina to the Tug Hill?

Bozart

I'd like to make a run to the Tug Hill, anytime from Dec. 8 through the holidays, if a big event sets up.

Figure a long 704-mile drive to get there, and another to get back home, plus lesser milage during one main on-the-ground visit day for sectoring squalls and taking readings and video. Two nights of motels. I'd gladly pay half the motel and gas and a reasonable wear-and-tear (chauffeur) premium to ride up there in someone else's nice, big, warm, snow-friendly 4x4. Been discussing it already with one of the local members down here. (Hope he's reading this message.)

Each 704-mile trip leg, going up and coming back, can be done in a day. 1408-miles round trip plus figure 200 miles on fun squall day under the band.

-------

1608 total trip miles

1608/20 mpg = 80.4 gal. gas needed x $2.89/gal = $232.36 trip gas expense, or $116.18 gas per partner.

Figure two nights motel @ $80/ngt -- $40/ngt per share, so $80 motel trip total per partner.

$116.18 gas per partner

$80.00 motel per partner

-------------------

$196.18 gas/motel expense per partner

Tagalong (me) will kick in $60 extra as a chauffeur fee, lowering the car owner's trip expense to $136.

Meals are dutch.

I have a great digital-tape camcorder. Hope the partner will have a laptop with mobile (preferably on-the-go) Internet.

Sounds pretty fun to me, for a three-day commitment and not too much money. Not too hair-brained, don't y'all think?

I'd like to make a run to the Tug Hill, anytime from Dec. 8 through the holidays, if a big event sets up.

Figure a long 704-mile drive to get there, and another to get back home, plus lesser milage during one main on-the-ground visit day for sectoring squalls and taking readings and video. Two nights of motels. I'd gladly pay half the motel and gas and a reasonable wear-and-tear (chauffeur) premium to ride up there in someone else's nice, big, warm, snow-friendly 4x4. Been discussing it already with one of the local members down here. (Hope he's reading this message.)

Each 704-mile trip leg, going up and coming back, can be done in a day. 1408-miles round trip plus figure 200 miles on fun squall day under the band.

-------

1608 total trip miles

1608/20 mpg = 80.4 gal. gas needed x $2.89/gal = $232.36 trip gas expense, or $116.18 gas per partner.

Figure two nights motel @ $80/ngt -- $40/ngt per share, so $80 motel trip total per partner.

$116.18 gas per partner

$80.00 motel per partner

-------------------

Tagalong (me) will kick in $60 extra as a chauffeur fee, lowering the car owner's trip expense to $136.

Meals are dutch.

I have a great digital-tape camcorder. Hope the partner will have a laptop with mobile (preferably on-the-go) Internet.

Sounds pretty fun to me, for a three-day commitment and not too much money. Not too hair-brained, don't y'all think?

Post this in OT, there area few mid atlantic guys that have been talking about doing this. PM Stormtracker...

-------

1608 total trip miles

$116.18 gas per partner

$80.00 motel per partner

-------------------

Meals are dutch.

I may be interested Bozart, but it would have to be the second half of Dec and a sig storm, as I take my son on chases and he does not go on break till the 19th I believe. Furthermore, as things stand now, I am only going to able to do one chase this winter, and not sure I want to use it this early in the season. After last winter, and being spoiled, my benchmark this winter is 1 storm, verified blizzard conditions, and 24" of SN over at-least a 24hr period. I would love to get that in the Apps, as storms like that happen from time to time over there, or within a 5hr drive, tops. Doubt DC will be the hot-spot this winter, but feel confident someone within a 5 hour drive of us will get hammered with a big storm, thinking is that it will be north and west this year, but just an early guess...

2 chases last winter, 16" and 24" respectively

I may be interested Bozart, but it would have to be the second half of Dec and a sig storm, as I take my son on chases and he does not go on break till the 19th I believe. Furthermore, as things stand now, I am only going to able to do one chase this winter, and not sure I want to use it this early in the season. After last winter, and being spoiled, my benchmark this winter is 1 storm, verified blizzard conditions, and 24" of SN over at-least a 24hr period. I would love to get that in the Apps, as storms like that happen from time to time over there, or within a 5hr drive, tops. Doubt DC will be the hot-spot this winter, but feel confident someone within a 5 hour drive of us will get hammered with a big storm, thinking is that it will be north and west this year, but just an early guess...

I am definitely jealous of your snow chases last year (although hitting the Sanford meso band was awesome on my end for shear snow intensity etc.). Anyway another thing to consider is if you hit a monster tug hill band you could get stuck for longer than you anticipate. I would advise taking a 4WD vehicle for ground clearance and getting initial traction.

Post this in OT, there area few mid atlantic guys that have been talking about doing this. PM Stormtracker...

Right now I'm just putting out feelers for more of a local hook-up, but we'll see how that goes.

I may be interested Bozart, but it would have to be the second half of Dec and a sig storm, as I take my son on chases and he does not go on break till the 19th I believe.

That's fine ... although I wouldn't want to get stuck on the road in a snowstorm for Christmas.

Yep, pretty impressive. I want to chase lake bands specifically out of interest in their very peculiar properties: the extreme rates attainable, the very localized and sometimes convective nature of lake plumes, and frankly, the ability to exit the storm environment when I get a bellyfull.

I would advise taking a 4WD vehicle for ground clearance and getting initial traction.

Exactly why I'm looking to hitch a ride in such a vehicle! Although, if all else fails, I might just buy a set of tire chains and try it in my old Taurus Wagon, heaven help me.

Right now I'm just putting out feelers for more of a local hook-up, but we'll see how that goes.

Yep, pretty impressive. I want to chase lake bands specifically out of interest in their very peculiar properties: the extreme rates attainable, the very localized and sometimes convective nature of lake plumes, and frankly, the ability to exit the storm environment when I get a bellyfull.

Understand that friend, but did verify TR-SN and blizzard conditions last year in DC. 24" in a 30 hr period and given convective type + the wind is a straight up win going forward. I honestly doubt to be traveling 700+ miles this winter to see that, not only on the solid day drive, but also on the V-6 accord given Michelin SN tires. Furthermore, I am one for waiting till the last minute and committing to a spot given all available information, much harder to do though in a lake effect band. Thinking the strong Nina may pull up an Apps runner late in the season for what could surpass the mark, but will I wait for that? :mapsnow:

And to add to this, the lakes are just now seeing there first Arctic shot, temps will continue to cool going forward with the NA blocking over the next 7+ days. After that you may have another decent shot around the middle and later part of next week. Beyond that the lakes will cool beyond Epic potential imo, given years past with monstrous Arctic highs crashing down in Oct. Going foreword, kind of getting into the bombing coastal, and back edge setting up 10+ hours out, with convective bands inbound. Nothing beats that imo, as a slp is dropping >24mb in 24hrs... :thumbsup:

Hey bozart. I am not gonna be able to make this trip this year. Money situation has gone to pot and will be trying to get back into some overtime at work since my hunting days are going to be few and far between now that I have a few kills under my belt. Still going to be a chase I do before any big hurricane or tornado chases out in the midwest. LES is one of the easier weather events to catch successfully.

If we can get a few of the eastern NC guys together maybe its time to do another dinner at my place or back to mazatlan for some mexican and a beer!

Hey bozart. I am not gonna be able to make this trip this year. Money situation has gone to pot and will be trying to get back into some overtime at work since my hunting days are going to be few and far between now that I have a few kills under my belt. Still going to be a chase I do before any big hurricane or tornado chases out in the midwest. LES is one of the easier weather events to catch successfully.

If we can get a few of the eastern NC guys together maybe its time to do another dinner at my place or back to mazatlan for some mexican and a beer!

:thumbsup: Thursday nights wurk great for me.

I'll go ahead and order another video. And I owe you a dinner, too!

I'll be kinda tied up for the next week, but after that I'm good most any day.

Archived