• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fri-Sat 18-19 Feb

Wx4cast

A very preliminary look at data (IMO) has me leaning toward a potential high wind event of LONG duration from Fri into Sunday Along with a possible embedded line of forced convection with possible Severe WX (High Wind even a bit of hail) Fri Night into Saturday. (I smell another possible case study if things pan out. If they do who is game?!)

To me has some similarity to: Feb 2006 High Wind Event

I'll have to look at the data a bit more closely (probably not until Wed) but so far this looks to be an even stronger system than the one I cited. Plus could very well be a hybrid event...synoptic wind (S then WSW-W) plus low-topped (potentially severe) NCFRB/QLCS type system. Could be "twisted" fun.

A very preliminary look at data (IMO) has me leaning toward a potential high wind event of LONG duration from Fri into Sunday Along with a possible embedded line of forced convection with possible Severe WX (High Wind even a bit of hail) Fri Night into Saturday. (I smell another possible case study if things pan out. If they do who is game?!)

I'll have to look at the data a bit more closely (probably not until Wed) but so far this looks to be an even stronger system than the one I cited. Plus could very well be a hybrid event...synoptic wind (S then WSW-W) plus low-topped (potentially severe) NCFRB/QLCS type system. Could be "twisted" fun.

past several runs of the gfs were showing 80+ knots @850mb...

past several runs of the gfs were showing 80+ knots @850mb...

To get a HW event takes a lot more than just what the winds are aloft. One needs thins like NVM, dry slots, "good" lapse rates, etc. Wind speed forecast aloft means. nothing. Suggestion Google Niziol's paper on Non-Convective High Wind Events (for Western NYS). One of the best reads and free education that you will ever get.

Then after your read this paper go to:

High Wind Events by Asunas

To get a HW event takes a lot more than just what the winds are aloft. One needs thins like NVM, dry slots, "good" lapse rates, etc. Wind speed forecast aloft means. nothing. Suggestion Google Niziol's paper on Non-Convective High Wind Events (for Western NYS). One of the best reads and free education that you will ever get.

Then after your read this paper go to:

High Wind Events by Asunas

thanks,I'll do that lol :popcorn:

Excellent post...I agree.... another good paper is

A Climatology of Cold-Season Nonconvective Wind Events in the Great Lakes Region

Does Friday still look dramatic? To me I am seeing that low tracking soo far north of us in Canada and dragging that front through Friday evening. It seems like the real energy is kinda far removed.

Its looking less likely. Yes the low track is all wrong. You need it moving along or just north of LO and the SLV with continued deepening. We will be windy Friday (late) night thru Saturday could see some gusts 45 mph perhaps on Saturday but probably no worse then any of the more windy days that we've had this winter thus far. As for possible NCFRB or a line of low-topped forced convection that looks less likely too.

Its looking less likely. Yes the low track is all wrong. You need it moving along or just north of LO and the SLV with continued deepening. We will be windy Friday (late) night thru Saturday could see some gusts 45 mph perhaps on Saturday but probably no worse then any of the more windy days that we've had this winter thus far. As for possible NCFRB or a line of low-topped forced convection that looks less likely too.

Everyone: Thanks for the heads-up and the referenced papers. While much of the technical data is somewhat over my head (and consequently I had to breeze through it much too quickly), it's clear that my plans to bushwhack Vly and Bearpen Mts (north central Catskill 3500 ft peaks) on Sat might best be postponed. Wind, temps and snow/ice aren't the problem - tree limbs suddenly snapping overhead could be.

A couple quick questions: I've always been unable to comfortably visualize the 3-D movements of air currents in and around low pressures. Why would cold air advection occur in steep lapse rates? Is this advection the mixing referred to in these events?

Thanks again.

Hiker

you should start a thread for next week storm,high wind potential is a possibility for the whole area imo

Archived