Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Plains Weather Discussion

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt we do--but do we have any members from the Black Hills region?

i'm always down for some northern plain talk. We need to get those meridian guys to start posting here again they really haven't made the transition or opt to post here that often. We could have a pretty nice disco group if we had the 2-3 mets from meridian in this as well.

i'm always down for some northern plain talk. We need to get those meridian guys to start posting here again they really haven't made the transition or opt to post here that often. We could have a pretty nice disco group if we had the 2-3 mets from meridian in this as well.

Agreed. I am down too--enough weather and enough mets to hold down the fort--I think this thread will get more exciting in the summer too.

Think we should toss in western MN too? They are definitely on the edge as eastern MN is definitely Great Lakes.

I thought I would start a thread to cover one of the last ignored regions in central/western. Members seem to be few and far between--but I think this region deserves a thread of its own. Cmichweather up in the land of flat and no trees (Grand Forks, ND) can agree.

Not really wx related but it's amazing how sparsely populated that area is. My grandma used to live in ND and her town had less than 100 people. Hopefully we can get some more northern Plains folks here though. :thumbsup:

Agreed. I am down too--enough weather and enough mets to hold down the fort--I think this thread will get more exciting in the summer too.

Ya no doubt, i'm pretty sure we are going to get a late start but summertime should be some fun especially with several of us out chasing. I know i'll go about as far as your cwa to chase, and depending on work I'm sure lawson would come about that far so we'll all be chasing the same general area with you being able to go a bit further south than us and maybe hit a few of those high risks in kansas/ok.

Not really wx related but it's amazing how sparsely populated that area is. My grandma used to live in ND and her town had less than 100 people. Hopefully we can get some more northern Plains folks here though. :thumbsup:

Yeah it is definitely sparse haha. Driving through parts of the plains it is amazing how sparse it can be. Great weather though--and this region is definitely under-represented. GFK has a huge pool of mets with the university and Meridian Environmental--and there are some large cities like Omaha/Lincoln as well. I am thinking of adding the part of KS not captured by Jomo's region as well--make this a straight up northern/central plains thread.

Think we should toss in western MN too? They are definitely on the edge as eastern MN is definitely Great Lakes.

Mind as well toss in Eastern Montana, and whatever parts of Nebraska you want, seems like we could have a nice region that covers the upper plains, mid-lower plains. Is Nebraska covered in the other regional discussion board if not you can add them or maybe just add your CWA to the loop so that you can add your local knowledge along with talking about your area.

Yeah it is definitely sparse haha. Driving through parts of the plains it is amazing how sparse it can be. Great weather though--and this region is definitely under-represented. GFK has a huge pool of mets with the university and Meridian Environmental--and there are some large cities like Omaha/Lincoln as well. I am thinking of adding the part of KS not captured by Jomo's region as well--make this a straight up northern/central plains thread.

I drove through North Dakota this summer and was amazed at the desolation; being from NYC, I'm just not accustomed to such wide open areas, such a sense of infinite space in the prairies for sure. I really liked some of the cities in Nebraska like Omaha, found some great restaurants there and the town was overall very orderly, forested with lots of parks/green spaces, didn't expect that. I'm jealous of the weather you guys get to experience...I am thinking of coming out there if there is to be a massive Plains/Prairies blizzard in the springtime, as that's something I've never experienced. A blizzard in the open prairies must be so different from a Nor'easter in a confined, forested suburban environment.

Keep us informed on the crazy weather out there.

Ya no doubt, i'm pretty sure we are going to get a late start but summertime should be some fun especially with several of us out chasing. I know i'll go about as far as your cwa to chase, and depending on work I'm sure lawson would come about that far so we'll all be chasing the same general area with you being able to go a bit further south than us and maybe hit a few of those high risks in kansas/ok.

Hopefully we can get the mets going in here--perhaps you can spread the word up there.

As for chasing--sounds like fun for you guys! I know Lawson is willing to go on longer chases. I suggest you meet up with Ben Collin at meridian too. He goes on long chases quite often. He has a good chase blog--with other random wx too. http://www.bencollin.com/

Ya it's really crazy when you get go out chasing and go through the towns of 40-50 people and really see how many 1 stoplight/stop sign towns really exist. I was blown away how much land is open up here, it really is like another planet when you head out toward the badlands or down mobridge and the prairie lands they have out that way.

Hopefully we can get the mets going in here--perhaps you can spread the word up there.

As for chasing--sounds like fun for you guys! I know Lawson is willing to go on longer chases. I suggest you meet up with Ben Collin at meridian too. He goes on long chases quite often. He has a good chase blog--with other random wx too. http://www.bencollin.com/

ya no doubt I need to talk to those guys, if funding doesn't work out I may just be working there in March so we'll see. I never knew that collin was from this area, he streams live a bunch doesn't he?

I drove through North Dakota this summer and was amazed at the desolation; being from NYC, I'm just not accustomed to such wide open areas, such a sense of infinite space in the prairies for sure. I really liked some of the cities in Nebraska like Omaha, found some great restaurants there and the town was overall very orderly, forested with lots of parks/green spaces, didn't expect that. I'm jealous of the weather you guys get to experience...I am thinking of coming out there if there is to be a massive Plains/Prairies blizzard in the springtime, as that's something I've never experienced. A blizzard in the open prairies must be so different from a Nor'easter in a confined, forested suburban environment.

Keep us informed on the crazy weather out there.

Haha I love the enthusiasm! Plains weather is definitely unique--and the weather can be pretty extreme with the flat openness and the arctic/GOM airmasses meeting somewhere in the plains. Omaha is nice I have heard--very clean and orderly as you said with a high standard of living. I can truly say that plains weather in spring is THE most exciting weather in the United States at any time of the year. Nowhere else can you get extreme convection and big winter storms with the SAME storm.

ya no doubt I need to talk to those guys, if funding doesn't work out I may just be working there in March so we'll see. I never knew that collin was from this area, he streams live a bunch doesn't he?

Yeah Ben is at Meridian--I went to UND with him. I think he may stream--not sure--but he chases quite often and is pretty talented at it, IMO. I may try and get him on here.

I've always been impressed by the extremes there...the spread in the hot/cold records is pretty amazing.

I'd jump at the chance to work in that area in the future if it were an option. Sounds like fun.:thumbsup:

I'm from michigan and the weather up here is nuts. When you go through a week of -40 windchills and -20 nights with ground blizzards (ground blizzards may be the coolest thing on earth, we had an arctic front come through today that had some snow showers, it was literally a <1/4 mile vis all morning while the sun was trying to shine through and wind chills below 0), then switch to summers that have 20 days in the 90's its a ton of fun plus we see our fair share of tornado's and don't have that far to travel to be in tornado alley.

No, I'm from the deep South and then spent some time in NOVA and now N. Texas. I've just always had a fascination with that part of the country for some reason. I've always wanted to to do a couple of weeks hiking / camping across the area one summer.

Sweet--chime in whenever you want. We want this thread/region to grow--we need members lol.

I'm from michigan and the weather up here is nuts. When you go through a week of -40 windchills and -20 nights with ground blizzards (ground blizzards may be the coolest thing on earth, we had an arctic front come through today that had some snow showers, it was literally a <1/4 mile vis all morning while the sun was trying to shine through and wind chills below 0), then switch to summers that have 20 days in the 90's its a ton of fun plus we see our fair share of tornado's and don't have that far to travel to be in tornado alley.

Yeah, all you here about here is "oh, Michigan weather is terrible, it changes too much." Ha, I tell them to try the Plains, then we can talk. I'd like nothing more than to be in a wide open area and see a developing supercell. Everything is built up here and supercell prospects are significantly low.

I've always been impressed by the extremes there...the spread in the hot/cold records is pretty amazing.

ND is cold no doubt, haha. They do get decent convection too--a very tough region to chase since most events are almost always very "marginal" in terms of probability and cap erosion. But the events tend to be somewhat large when they do happen.

Yeah, all you here about here is "oh, Michigan weather is terrible, it changes too much." Ha, I tell them to try the Plains, then we can talk. I'd like nothing more than to be in a wide open area and see a developing supercell. Everything is built up here and supercell prospects are significantly low.

Where you going to college?

Archived