Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Plains Weather Discussion

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why not just call it "Northern High Plains", or "Upper MS Valley" thread, or something like that?

See the subtitle. I wanted it to cover that whole region of the plains--main reason I went with the long title was to include every state so new members would know what "subregion" they belong in. I am up for better title ideas though.

The west coast trough looks like it wants to take over for this part of the country in the next few days.

That -PNA/SE ridge pattern might get you guys a lot of snow in the next few weeks. My guess is you'll be on the right side of any lakes' cutters. The snow could really start to pile up in Minnesota and North Dakota if the pattern goes as progged.

It was the Grand Rapids area. Now I am in NODAK visiting friends. I am loving this weather. It is nice not coming back to a deep freeze.

Yep, pretty warm out there yesterday. Spring is on the way. We had it cooler by the lake yesterday. One of the first signs of spring.

Hey there guys...I'm Chris Hovanic, meteorologist at Meridian Environmental here in Grand Forks...

I've been up here for about 6 months, spent 3 years in KC at a private forecasting company before that, and 2 years in DC area just out of college. I'm orginally from just outside of Charlottesville, VA and went to school in Asheville, NC. I definitely concur that the Plains region, particularly from approximately OUN to FSD has probably the most extreme weather of any location in the country (although I do miss my Noreasters, particularly last winter in the Mid-Atlantic!). As far as chasing goes, I usually take a 2 week chase vacation most years (not this year as I am getting married in the Fall), and otherwise try and chase as much as my work schedule/finances allow, would definitely be interested in linking up with folks up here for some late May-August northern Plains action.

I was quite active on EasternUSWX back when I lived in the East, and even posted quite frequently on the old Wright-Weather weather forums during my college days, so it's nice to see the assemblage of some northern Plains folks on the message boards these days...

Looking forward to some northern Plains severe wx/hopefully historic Spring blizzard discussion in the coming months!

I'm actually looking forward to a decent event here in southern Manitoba with the Thursday system. Looks like I'm in for a few inches and some gusty winds tomorrow night and Friday.

At least someone will get in on snow with this system. I could get some flurries.

Hey there guys...I'm Chris Hovanic, meteorologist at Meridian Environmental here in Grand Forks...

I've been up here for about 6 months, spent 3 years in KC at a private forecasting company before that, and 2 years in DC area just out of college. I'm orginally from just outside of Charlottesville, VA and went to school in Asheville, NC. I definitely concur that the Plains region, particularly from approximately OUN to FSD has probably the most extreme weather of any location in the country (although I do miss my Noreasters, particularly last winter in the Mid-Atlantic!). As far as chasing goes, I usually take a 2 week chase vacation most years (not this year as I am getting married in the Fall), and otherwise try and chase as much as my work schedule/finances allow, would definitely be interested in linking up with folks up here for some late May-August northern Plains action.

I was quite active on EasternUSWX back when I lived in the East, and even posted quite frequently on the old Wright-Weather weather forums during my college days, so it's nice to see the assemblage of some northern Plains folks on the message boards these days...

Looking forward to some northern Plains severe wx/hopefully historic Spring blizzard discussion in the coming months!

Great to have you! I'm another Grand Forks meteorologist, but i'm getting my masters at UND. I share an office with Matt Clegg. I love to chase as well, and love the great plains weather.

Hey Chris, I was a Meridian forecaster too from 2007-2009--in fact just up there visiting folks including Leon, the profs, and other Meridian folks. Good to see some more mets on here.

Archived