• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Above treeline insanity in the White Mtns

1098969893_CdNHd-L.jpg

To test myself, and to see how I would react to severe winter weather, I decided to attempt Eisenhower via Edmunds Path, with my friend, on what was prob the worst day of the young season. I had already decided we prob wouldn't make the summit, due to the weather, but I wanted to get a taste of above treeline weather with constant gale force winds, snow, and big time cold. My preliminary goal was to make it to the Crawford Path junction, and while I didn't make it there, I did come within a tenth of a mile of there. Good enough for me...I also brought my hand held thermometer/anemometer/ altimeter, to get some readings.

To quote from the hikers bible: "The last 0.2 mi segment before it joins the Mt. Eisenhower Loop and Crawford Path is very exposed to northwest winds and, although short, can create a serious problem in bad weather." Well, yeah, pretty much...thats what happened yesterday. But more on that later....

Abenaki Brook

1098968844_vYjat-XL.jpg

snow frosted firs

1098969087_gDE2V-L.jpg

approaching treeline

1098969675_b2q8t-L.jpg

now above treeline, you can see the cairn here. at this point I was just attempting to get a couple pics of the scene, without really looking...I was getting tossed around pretty hardcore.

1098970292_vUs62-L.jpg

1098970240_MkJ5F-L.jpg

So at this point, I was getting slammed into the rock wall along the Edmunds Path, and I decided to call it a day, and turn around. In retrospect, we prob could have gone a little bit further to the trail junc...but I didn't like the thought of the unknown. The wind was so strong that it was knocking me around. Plus I was wearing goggles and making me disoriented even more, because they were ruining my depth perception. Plus, for me, hiking poles were absolutely a hindrance!! I felt like they were ruining my balance even more cause they nearly blew away several times, despite being wrapped around me hands. I would have felt better grabbing onto rocks hand having poles there.

In a slight lull, I got out my anemometer/thermometer and measured the temp and winds. It was 20 deg with a sustained 40 mph wind, gusting to well over 50. WInd chills at the strongest gusts was below zero. I didn't get the strongest gust, but I assume it was in the 60 mph range. Talk about a slap in the face! You tell someone who isn't used to steady winds above 30 mph, and they laugh at you because it doesn't sound that strong....but it is! Change the 30 mph winds to 40, with gusts to 60, while you are carrying a bunch of hiking stuff. Talk about awkward walking!

So time to head down.....still in somewhat good spirits.

1098970855_bLEGq-L.jpg

And so we went down at the rock entrance

1098971595_yBjTP-L.jpg

1098971926_yHeeX-L.jpg

At this point, of course the sun decided to come out, in full force!

1098972560_Lykik-L.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived