• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Could last spring's volcanic eruption in Iceland be having an impact on this winter?

I was wondering if last spring's eruption of the volcano in Iceland could be having an impact on temperatures this winter? I recall JB saying that it wouldn' given (he says) it's only the volcanoes in the tropics that impact temperatures. However, I remember Henry Margusity saying last Fall that he thought the eruption might indeed have an impact. He even specified that the northeast would have a colder, snowier winter than many many mets were nitially thinking.

Any thoughts?

I was wondering if last spring's eruption of the volcano in Iceland could be having an impact on temperatures this winter? I recall JB saying that it wouldn' given (he says) it's only the volcanoes in the tropics that impact temperatures. However, I remember Henry Margusity saying last Fall that he thought the eruption might indeed have an impact. He even specified that the northeast would have a colder, snowier winter than many many mets were nitially thinking.

Any thoughts?

I have heard several times that volcanoes in the mid and high latitudes don't have nearly the effect the tropical eruptions do, but I'm not convinced. It wouldn't take much to set off a chain reaction that could have some major effects. Just look at how a tiny change in solar output has effected the blocking potential the past couple of winters. If it is the cause I hope and pray it or another volcano doesn't erupt this year.

Any thoughts?

Actually. JB does think that far northern volcanoes can, indeed, have a big impact on temp.'s.

No, there was none whatsoever. The ash cloud didn't even reach the stratosphere, and even if it did, the Brewer-Dobson circulation would have prevented it from making much of a difference.

Also, the Pinatubo eruption released about 100 times as much matter as Eyjafjallajokull.

I guess there could be some impact from a high-latitude eruption, but only if it was extremely massive and occurred near the summer solstice.

I have heard several times that volcanoes in the mid and high latitudes don't have nearly the effect the tropical eruptions do, but I'm not convinced. It wouldn't take much to set off a chain reaction that could have some major effects. Just look at how a tiny change in solar output has effected the blocking potential the past couple of winters. If it is the cause I hope and pray it or another volcano doesn't erupt this year.

Snow wiz, if a volcano eruption were to cause a short term climatic change, it would probably cool your area down also.

The Icelandic eruption plumes do not appear to have reached the stratosphere, however, don't ever forget that the stratosphere heights are very much lower in the very high latitudes than the Tropics. For Global effects, you need a tropical volcano. High latitude volcano effects are usually limited to the hemisphere they are located in.

Steve

Archived