Jump to content

AnEndlessMaze

Members
  • Posts

    5,346
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AnEndlessMaze

  1. Multiple fact-checkers have confirmed that @WxWatcher007 forecast is indeed listed correctly. Though there are unconfirmed reports that this may have been a botched troll attempt much like your 2018-19 entry.
  2. Sorry the spreadsheet degraded you to a lessburg, I’ll fix that too
  3. You’re right, looks like a few of you typed them out in the wrong order, I’ll double check all these again and repost.
  4. Despite a few notable absences, we still managed a record-breaking 64 contestants. We begin with GATECH as the leader.
  5. BWI tied for 3rd hottest November (along with 1985 and 1946) at 52.4 degrees. Only 1948 and 1931 were hotter at 53.0 and 54.7 degrees, respectively.
  6. As I told the other poster before- hundredths of an inch are getting rounded up or down, just FYI
  7. It’s to the nearest tenth of an inch, not hundredth, so I will be rounding these up (or down) depending on the value. (You may be ok with that, but I’m just letting you know)
  8. The more people that play, the more fun and competitive it is, so for any lurkers- don’t be shy, join in! None of the previous champions have posted a forecast yet- keeping the cards close to their chest
  9. BWI: 14.7" DCA: 10.1" IAD: 17.3" RIC: 8.2" Tiebreaker (SBY): 13.8"
  10. It's time for the 6th annual Mid-Atlantic snowfall contest! Everyone is encouraged to play- including lurkers, new members and people outside the region! You are forecasting the total snowfall for the entire season (NOT just Dec/Jan/Feb) for the four major airports: BWI, DCA, IAD and RIC. For the tiebreaker, you will choose one of the following two airports: Salisbury (SBY) or Lynchburg (LYH). Please choose only one- in the event of the tiebreaker, the difference at the airport you chose will be compared with the difference at the airport your opponent(s) chose. The winner will be the person who has the lowest combined absolute value departure for all four airports (this link explains the calculation in more detail, for anyone who needs clarification: https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/50428-mid-atlantic-winter-2017-18-snowfall-contest/?do=findComment&comment=4656575 ). Please use the following format when posting your forecast: BWI: DCA: IAD: RIC: Tiebreaker (SBY or LYH): The deadline for entries is Monday, November 30 at 11:59pm. You are welcome to edit your forecast as many times as you want until the deadline. If there's any accumulating snow before the deadline, please include that in your forecast as well. The winner gets an E-trophy made of snow and an induction into the Hall of Fame with the previous winners: 2015-16: @Shadowzone 2016-17: @Stormpc 2017-18: @olafminesaw 2018-19: @olafminesaw (tiebreaker win against @Stormpc) 2019-20: @Prestige Worldwide Good luck everyone!
  11. All of the big winters are like that though- even 13/14 and 09/10, both of which had long stretches of warm, snowless in between storms. We never do sustained cold and snowcover in this region so the question to me is more about why in the big years does everything seem to line up at just exactly the correct times over and over.
  12. I understand it, as it's been the main problem I'm having when thinking about this winter. For the most part I'm leaning towards snowless, but there's some similarities I see with 95/96. My question with 95/96 though has always been if it was a 1/1,000 outlier event or something that's more likely given the right circumstances. It's never made sense to me for Mid-Atlantic snowfall vs. ENSO to have a bimodal distribution in weak La Nina and moderate El NIno- seems like one of those would flatten out over time as the sample grows larger (and the last 25 years seems to indicate the weak La Nina will be the one that flattens). ...anyway, for those that have messaged me, the snowfall contest will be posted early November. Should be interesting...
  13. It’s a bigger sample size than the mostly worthless indices you all track and it has a 100% correlation so far. I called for a shutout back in October in Weather53’s other thread anyway.
  14. Every November that has less than 2” of rain at BWI/DCA has a winter that turns out to be a dumpster fire. It’s a better leading indicator than any model at this point.
  15. You should make it top seven at BWI so once this winter is done we can have 97/98 and 16/17 still on the list. Five of the top seven in the last 22 years lol
  16. This is anecdotal, but I feel like we've lost all the minor 2-4" events I grew up with as a kid in the 80's and 90's. It's either WSW events or nothing. But I'm like you, hunting for the big storms.
  17. I used this: https://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/bwisnow.pdf And the monthly reports here: https://w2.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lwx And they both totaled 3.0; however, LWX has never updated their top five least snowiest winters chart and I don’t know why.
  18. BWI only had 3.0” in 2016/17, which would place it #4 on that list.
  19. I have no problem with climo storms. But it’s hilarious how some people love to talk down to us, but then in the rare instance when we’re the bull’s eye, they have a mental breakdown posting how IT’S NOT FAIR!! I remember 1/17 and 1/18.
  20. September finished tied for 5th hottest and also 2nd driest at BWI. This is the decade of hot Septembers at BWI- 2018 is now tied for 11th hottest and 2016 is now ranked 16th hottest. It will be interesting to see how the 1991-2020 norms affect September, as there as only been one this decade with below average temps- 2013, which was still only -0.1. @RodneyS or @MN Transplant how did DCA/IAD do?
  21. BWI: 12/1 DCA: 12/4 IAD: 11/20 RIC: 12/4 Tiebreaker: 4.25”
×
×
  • Create New...