Jump to content

MarkO

Members
  • Posts

    3,407
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by MarkO

  1. Bretton Woods was one of those surprise/ borderline epic days. They had about 16" at top and about 10 at the bottom. Enough to ski the woods (even though they were technically closed). A couple early season water bars, but skiing was great. I left after 5 runs as the lift situation became a bit of a nightmare.
  2. Holy smokes! What did they use Elmer's glue on those conduits?
  3. What's the confidence in 6"+ in southern whites at this point? Maybe 75%?
  4. Wow! But right now it's like trying to drill a 52 yarder.
  5. At least the Stowe season pass is now very reasonable. I remember back just out of college the Sugarbush season pass was about $1500 and that was back in the mid-late 90's. We bought a laminator, printed up college id's. Even when they started requiring a letter from your registrar, we printed those up too and got a phone line with a recording. It was all worth it when a college pass was about $350 and usually included other mountains like Stowe, Jay or MRG. Now that my kids are teens, you really don't get much of a break on a season pass for them, so I only get one for myself (but I get in 40-50 days so it's justified). Our community gets discount passes for WV. I think it's around $50 for a kids day pass and maybe $70 for an adult, but even then my wife and daughter take two or 3 runs and call it a day. It's tough up here though. Even though there may be a lot of jobs, and they're having trouble filling them, the pay is pretty low. Income inequality is nuts. I've put my time in working in restaurants and what not, and even as an entry level civil engineer, I was making crap. But it's a different story when you're self employed. I mean, I don't charge what I could. The rates for a plumber, HVAC, even mechanic are in the $100-150/hr range, sometimes higher. But I'm sure they're probably only bringing home between 1/3 and 1/4 of that. Up north it's probably 1/2 it is in the Boston area.
  6. I did the same thing. I think I spent about $10 on Amazon, then broke down and finally bought a nice pair of goggles on a black Friday sale. I hate spending money on goggles b/c they always seem to get pretty mucked up with scratches. Thinking about doing a couple runs as BW, but that's a lot of driving for one top to bottom run.
  7. about a mile from the northern end (as the crow flies)
  8. Apparently rain flipped back to snow on MWN. I'm guessing it's probably snowing down to about 3-4k and should be dropping throughout the day.
  9. Wachusett first in the east to open to the general public. I wonder if that's a first?
  10. I found this an interesting read on the sheriff's of VT: https://www.sevendaysvt.com/vermont/sheriff-inc/Content?oid=20070627
  11. Will VT allow folks from other states to even buy lift tickets? That's really the only way I could see them having any control of out of state skiers if they want to enforce it. I agree ski areas will be open, certainly in NH where I see no way a former ski resort owner is current governor. NH was also the last to shut down last winter. Live Free or Die, lol
  12. I was just going thinking this AM if no nearby (NH) mountains open for Thanksgiving, I still couldn't to to Vermont even from Grafton County, NH. I wonder if it's even worth opening for VT resorts if only Vermonter's are allowed to ski? Particularly with little/no income from F/B. Between the $hit weather and Covid, 20-21 is off to a terrible start. Looking like I'll be getting a lot of bony back country exercise.
  13. I'm sure there will be a handful of mountains opening next weekend, maybe sooner. https://www.killington.com/the-mountain/webcams/mountain/north-ridge-cam
  14. If I hear snows made it down to ~2500' I'll probably get out there. But it'll probably be a lot of hiking with skis on shoulders to get 500' of vertical. I'll probably hike to the top of Cannon.
  15. Neither can hold a candle to John-John Mackey
  16. With my new AT boots, I've found I can drive up the mountain pretty well, so I'll be booting up in the living room . I don't think crowds will be an issue mid-week. There are some weekdays I have the entire mountain to myself and about a couple dozen others. That being said, you guys have got me nervous about buying my season pass. There's no incentive to buy it early (the White Mountain Super Pass), so maybe I shoudl do that now.
  17. NH mountains will be open as well. They were the last to close, and it doesn't hurt when your Governor used to run a resort and promises a good ski season.
  18. I'll be checking it out. If it's recently cleared, watch out for small stumps. East, SE face, I wonder how it is for snow retention? That area does get a lot of natural snow. I'm guessing it could be around 200"
  19. Agree for the most part, but I also saw what I perceived to be new comers and minorities possibly discovering hiking and not knowing about take out what you take in and don't leave a trace. The Hike the 48 4000'er FB page was full of Karens' comments.
  20. I've seen traffic on 93 back to almost pre-Covid levels the past few weekends.
×
×
  • Create New...