• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK / AR / KS / MO Winter 2013-2014

okie333

The most recent run of the CFS v2 is cold for Dec, Jan and warmer for Feb (however, this is the CFS after all). 

The December 500 MB pattern it's depicting is much like last year, with the ridging over Alaska and up into the Arctic. In January, the ridging shifts to central Canada. In Feb the ridging shifts back to western Canada up into the Arctic. This is usually 'cold' for the eastern US. The wildcard is the strength and location of the trough off the west coast. The farther west it is, the better, otherwise it will flood the US with Pacific air. That had been what the model was showing until recently. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The most recent run of the CFS v2 is cold for Dec, Jan and warmer for Feb (however, this is the CFS after all).

The December 500 MB pattern it's depicting is much like last year, with the ridging over Alaska and up into the Arctic. In January, the ridging shifts to central Canada. In Feb the ridging shifts back to western Canada up into the Arctic. This is usually 'cold' for the eastern US. The wildcard is the strength and location of the trough off the west coast. The farther west it is, the better, otherwise it will flood the US with Pacific air. That had been what the model was showing until recently.

Awesome. Thank you for the update! I don't know if the ridge would be able to come that far inland or not. They tried to model that several times early last year didn't they? At any rate, wouldn't it be awesome if it moved to the west? Or relaxed to the south slightly? Anyway, yeah, it is the CFS. Lol.

Just read and article of great interest about the winter of 1917-18. It was called The old fashioned winter of 1917-18. It was neat to read it as a history of that year from August through the winter. The part that was the most amazing to me is the line where it mentions 4 foot deep snow over the Ozark Plateau. If that doesn't catch a fella's interest, nothing will. Lol. Worth a read through. You can google it.

Look at the warm anomalies off the SE Coast.  This may help promote a ridge that could possibly throw a monkey wrench into forecasts.  Sort of like 09-10, which featured some Southern snows and big East Coast events, but they would quickly moderate afterwards.  A southeast ridge usually is a stranglehold during La Nina winters, but I'm not currently expecting it to be a permanent feature. 

SERIDGEsst.gif

Look at the warm anomalies off the SE Coast. This may help promote a ridge that could possibly throw a monkey wrench into forecasts. Sort of like 09-10, which featured some Southern snows and big East Coast events, but they would quickly moderate afterwards. A southeast ridge usually is a stranglehold during La Nina winters, but I'm not currently expecting it to be a permanent feature.

SERIDGEsst.gif

Yeah. Definitely noteworthy. It will take a little time to see what happens there as the fall/winter pattern sets up. Currently of little concern here. I think the east coast may be a little worried that their snow season may be in jeopardy over it. We'll just have to see.

Strange...the CFSv2 shows above normal temps for most of North America but below normal temps for Alaska come December.  Almost a reversal of last year.  We shall see.

usT2mMonInd5.gif

January shows cooler than normal temps across the Southern Plains and Mid/Lower Mississippi River Valley.  That's something more in line with what I'm thinking.

usT2mMonInd6.gif

I don't like either map 100 percent either. Looking back at this year so far, particularly this summer, it has been a whole lot like 2009 in terms of persistent frontal passages and cool downs throughout the summer. With yet another front set to pass through in the next day, I can only assume we will end up like 09-10 winter. I'm not sure what the CFS forecast was that year, but I'm guessing that at this long of a lead that it was a definite bust. I'll look back through some old climate stuff and study some more over the next couple of days. I think summer may already be on the ropes though.

The CFS v2 flipped back warm in the above run because it had troughing near Alaska instead of ridging. We still have months to go before it all comes into better focus so things will oscillate, especially with the CFS v2 which isn't that great of a model when it comes to long range forecasting. 

The CFS v2 flipped back warm in the above run because it had troughing near Alaska instead of ridging. We still have months to go before it all comes into better focus so things will oscillate, especially with the CFS v2 which isn't that great of a model when it comes to long range forecasting.

^^^

!!!

What he said. Lol. Exactly.

NWS Litte Rock office reporting today that July will end up being one of the coldest on record for their area. Interesting stuff.

Less than 30 days until college football season kicks off. I don't care what the actual calendar says, when football starts it's fall!!!! Go Hogs!!!

I can agree with everything you said except that last part. Lol. Go sooners! Boomer!!! :-) NFL preseason starts Monday night if that counts for anything. :-)

Pacific ssts starting to look like crap. Lots of cold water surfacing in places we don't want it to.

I wouldn't be too worried.  Looks like some downwelling is occurring in the WPAC which is probably the start of another EKW.  A weak Nino means a decent STJ.  Often strong Ninos moderate the temps somewhat across the South.  

I think the biggest thing to look for is the EPO, NAO, and AO.  -EPO and -AO are to send the cold south and -NAO to lock it in.  Last year was very cold but very progressive.  We'd moderate every few days afterward.  

I can agree with everything you said except that last part. Lol. Go sooners! Boomer!!! :-) NFL preseason starts Monday night if that counts for anything. :-)

Anyone but the Sooners...I'm still bitter after the last Sugarbowl.  Roll Tide!

I wouldn't be too worried. Looks like some downwelling is occurring in the WPAC which is probably the start of another EKW. A weak Nino means a decent STJ. Often strong Ninos moderate the temps somewhat across the South.

I think the biggest thing to look for is the EPO, NAO, and AO. -EPO and -AO are to send the cold south and -NAO to lock it in. Last year was very cold but very progressive. We'd moderate every few days afterward.

Anyone but the Sooners...I'm still bitter after the last Sugarbowl. Roll Tide!

Yeah, I hated the quick moderation. You take 5 days at 60 degrees plus out of last winter and it would be a much colder winter overall. I still can't believe it made the top 5 coldest for Fayetteville. Impressive to say the least. I want a long duration cold and snow covered winter.

That was truly a great game. You have to admit it. I hope to see another one just like it this year for a REAL championship.

Any way you could link that blog?

Nah, it's a pay site. He was going over the QBO and solar factors and which years were most similar and what they looked like as a composite. It was cold over much of the nation except the far northern tier... Northern Montana, North Dakota.. that area. The coldest was over the SE US. 

In other news, Euro is still going with a strong Alaskan ridge again.

Hello all long time no see (so to speak).  Took an extended break to get my move to AR complete and things are settling in for me now in my new town.  Been an interesting summer for sure.  I'm certainly ready for fall weather and football.  I agree with Waterboy down here and I'll throw in my Pig Sooie for my favorite team.  We're certainly hoping for better things than what everybody is expecting!  Looking forward to more positive news on the winter as well.  Everybody take care and enjoy the dwindling days of summer.

Hello all long time no see (so to speak).  Took an extended break to get my move to AR complete and things are settling in for me now in my new town.  Been an interesting summer for sure.  I'm certainly ready for fall weather and football.  I agree with Waterboy down here and I'll throw in my Pig Sooie for my favorite team.  We're certainly hoping for better things than what everybody is expecting!  Looking forward to more positive news on the winter as well.  Everybody take care and enjoy the dwindling days of summer.

Hey man, I'm excited for football season as well, even though I think my Chiefs will probably not do as well as last year. So you're down by Rogers/Bentonville now eh? That means Monett will get a record amount of snow this year.

Hello all long time no see (so to speak). Took an extended break to get my move to AR complete and things are settling in for me now in my new town. Been an interesting summer for sure. I'm certainly ready for fall weather and football. I agree with Waterboy down here and I'll throw in my Pig Sooie for my favorite team. We're certainly hoping for better things than what everybody is expecting! Looking forward to more positive news on the winter as well. Everybody take care and enjoy the dwindling days of summer.

Welcome back man.

Hey man, I'm excited for football season as well, even though I think my Chiefs will probably not do as well as last year. So you're down by Rogers/Bentonville now eh? That means Monett will get a record amount of snow this year.

Yes my move can only be good news for you and the crew up in SW MO this winter. Everytime I leave a town they get a record snow the following winter lol. Maybe I'm just a bad jinx with the snow thing. And yeah I'm actually right next door to both Rogers and Bentonville take your pick. I love it here so far. Kinda my old stomping grounds anyway so all is good for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived