• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Virginia Drought-Falling weather of any kind-God

Qaanaaq

If this doesn't start breaking soon- it could get ugly for many reasons.Let's hope the GOM gets tapped and unloads something from the sky- drought begets drought- moisture lowers pressures.Here's hoping the NCEP discussion pans out:EAST...THE UKMET/CANADIAN GLOBAL/GFS/ECMWF ALL HAVE A LOW ORIGINATING INTHE GULF OF MEXICO WHICH REDEVELOPS ALONG OR JUST OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST AND INTENSIFIESQUICKLY AS IT MOVES UP THE COAST. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN AWIDESPREAD AREA OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST/MIDATLANTIC/NEW ENGLAND...WITH POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN ON THE COASTAND HEAVY SNOW FURTHER INLAND.

post-2503-0-67729400-1295622121.png

I live in the northern Shen. Valley, have lived there all my life, and I've never seen it this dry for this long. Ever since the Feb 5-6 snowstorm last year we've been in very dry spell. (Feb 9 snowstorm grazed us with only 3 inches) Spring was HOT and dry, and the summer was even HOTTER and dryer. I kept track of the # of 90+ days and lost count at 70. That hot and humid 5-month span resulted in only a couple of t-storms, and the week of JB's supposed "Troptober" produce nearly zero precip for us. The week of the tropical flow in Sept gave us a brief respite with 2.5 inches in Stephens City, but just east of us amounts in the 5 - 8 inch range were common. And of course that takes us into this winter - no further discussions needed there. Rain or snow, we need this storm in a bad way.

If this doesn't start breaking soon- it could get ugly for many reasons.Let's hope the GOM gets tapped and unloads something from the sky- drought begets drought- moisture lowers pressures.Here's hoping the NCEP discussion pans out:EAST...THE UKMET/CANADIAN GLOBAL/GFS/ECMWF ALL HAVE A LOW ORIGINATING INTHE GULF OF MEXICO WHICH REDEVELOPS ALONG OR JUST OFF THE SOUTHEAST COAST AND INTENSIFIESQUICKLY AS IT MOVES UP THE COAST. THIS SHOULD RESULT IN AWIDESPREAD AREA OF PRECIPITATION ACROSS THE SOUTHEAST/MIDATLANTIC/NEW ENGLAND...WITH POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY RAIN ON THE COASTAND HEAVY SNOW FURTHER INLAND.

If there is one thing Virginia is historically good at doing well - It is devastating droughts. Once in forty blue moons we have a decent flood - But drought in Virginia is common and expected.

The summer of 2011 is going to be record hot and record dry - and this record dry winter is an excellent start to that. This crazy unrelenting cold dry pattern needs to stop today, the Gulf needs to open up, and Virginia needs a decent taste of Brisbane - for about 12 straight weeks.

Archived