Winter snowfall 2010-2011

phlwx

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24" on the boxing day storm

14.8" last night

plus the 6" on the 7th and little 2-3" events

39" total so far this winter :) tbh I thought I had 46" total but I seem to high so I shaved off some.

I'm amazed you recorded 24" in the Boxing Day storm. The radar was clearly better for you as there was more subsidence in Central Westchester from the mega-band, but that's still an incredible total. I'm wondering if I undermeasured in that storm as I had 13" and most reports from Southern Westchester are in the 16-24" range. Hastings, 1.5 miles to my south, had 18"...It was almost impossible to make an accurate measurement with the heavy winds, and it just didn't look like a huge snowstorm when all was said and done, so I'm going to keep my 13" report intact. Snow wasn't even close to as deep as the 2/25 storm last year when I had 26", so I know it definitely couldn't have been in that range.

39" is a great total so far...33" here so far and looking for more this weekend and next week! We've really been incredibly lucky in Westchester lately, I had 68" last year and 45" in 08-09...I'm pretty sure you broke 50" in 08-09 although I remember being slightly dubious of such a high measurement. In any case, it's been an incredible stretch since the 12/19/08 storm that dumped 8" here in Dobbs Ferry. I remember the winters when I was in middle school and we could barely pick up a plowable snowfall, now it's off to the races as I've had 7 events with greater than 8" accumulation since December 2008, and 4 events over 12"...

Current snow depth in my front yard is 14". Its my measuring area as its sheltered from wind and sun while remaining open. Its stacked very neatly too

Bottom 7 inches is the icy remnants of the boxing day storm

a middle 1.5" is from this past weeks snows

and the top 5.5" is the compacted fresh powder from last nights 7.5"

Its a snow sandwich :)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived