• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Greenland Climo Stations?

Are there any out there, especially along the western part of Greenland? If so what was the December departure from normal? I'd have to think it's very high.

It was extremely high...RSS shows >+4C anomalies in that area:

Narsarsuaq, Greenland was 49/33 for January 1, 2011...average is 28/13 there so you're looking at a departure around +20F.

It was extremely high...RSS shows >+4C anomalies in that area:

Narsarsuaq, Greenland was 49/33 for January 1, 2011...average is 28/13 there so you're looking at a departure around +20F.

Really? I figured parts of Greenland were moderated a bit by the Gulf Stream..but that's an amazingly warm climo.

That's about the same as the normal high/low in Chicago.

I don't know about Greenland.. but parts of Baffin Island just to the west recorded their warmest December on record. Iqaluit (CYFB) had a December mean of -8.4C, a whopping 14C above normal (30 year normal -22.7C) easily beating the previous warmest December of -11.8C in 1985. For the first time ever, Iqaluit had to cancel their annual New Year's Eve snowmobile run on Frobisher Bay due to lack of ice cover. They are experiencing unheard of open water out there with boating still going on.. unprecendented for this time of year. An exceptionally warm end to a record warm year for them..

More data at.. http://kamala.cod.edu/offs/CWNT/1101031958.awcn16.html

I don't know about Greenland.. but parts of Baffin Island just to the west recorded their warmest December on record. Iqaluit (CYFB) had a December mean of -8.4C, a whopping 14C above normal (30 year normal -22.7C) easily beating the previous warmest December of -11.8C in 1985. For the first time ever, Iqaluit had to cancel their annual New Year's Eve snowmobile run on Frobisher Bay due to lack of ice cover. They are experiencing unheard of open water out there with boating still going on.. unprecendented for this time of year. An exceptionally warm end to a record warm year for them..

More data at.. http://kamala.cod.ed...958.awcn16.html

A rather worrying statistic I would think.

Are there any out there, especially along the western part of Greenland? If so what was the December departure from normal? I'd have to think it's very high.

Weatherunderground has a lot of current observations, but I'm not sure what they have as far as climo. It's easy enough to check.

Archived