• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowing at low elevations around Los Angeles

It's snowing at unusually low levels in the northern foothills of Los Angeles this evening.

Snow is being reported in Valencia, Castaic, Santa Clarita, Agua Dulce, and Palmdale. And not just sleet or hail, but honest to god snow flakes. Many areas may even wake up with a coating on the ground. The cold air is draining down from Nevada and Arizona, (where the record lows were set in numerous locations, including an amazing -30F at the Grand Canyon village) and colliding with moisture from a low pressure system off the coast.

Truly remarkable.:snowman: Do we have a snowman/cactus/palm tree emoticon????

Per the attached thread, there was actually a -38F temperature recorded in AZ on 1/1/2011...only 2 degrees off the all-time AZ state record low.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php?/topic/6818-incredible-cold-in-az/page__view__findpost__p__207839

Just amazing. Also, a bit OT...but Oymyakon, Siberia will be close to setting the all-time Northern Hemisphere cold record this week...I believe it's around -90F.

It's snowing at unusually low levels in the northern foothills of Los Angeles this evening.

Snow is being reported in Valencia, Castaic, Santa Clarita, Agua Dulce, and Palmdale. And not just sleet or hail, but honest to god snow flakes. Many areas may even wake up with a coating on the ground. The cold air is draining down from Nevada and Arizona, (where the record lows were set in numerous locations, including an amazing -30F at the Grand Canyon village) and colliding with moisture from a low pressure system off the coast.

Truly remarkable.:snowman: Do we have a snowman/cactus/palm tree emoticon????

My friend just called me from Valencia. Said people are going out of their minds out there. It is 37 degrees but sticking nicely to grassy areas.

The drive down from San Francisco today was incredible from a weather standpoint. About 75 miles north of Los Angeles we encountered HEAVY winds (I'd estimate they were 50 sustained gusting into the 70's). I went outside in them and could barely stand, and at times nearly got blown over. We leave and the next thing we know we are driving through some heavy snowfall.

Archived