• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Best Place in NY state now for snow depth

sferic

Just experienced 20+ inches at my Long Island home, now with time off I'm in Liberty NY (catskills) at my second home; a fresh 2 inches greeted me.

Anyhow, i have the week off and would like to know where is ground zero in NY state that would rival that in which I just experienced on Long Island?

I will go if it's within 3 or 4 hours of my location.

I'd love to see something that would wow me such as I remember when i was in oswego back in 1979.

So where do I go, where it's still fresh and not just piled high from weeks ago?

Any recommendations as well as depths I might expect? Syracuse perhaps. checked a noaa snow graph...42 inches currently?

Is that the place to be? that's 3 hours from me.

Thanks!

Just experienced 20+ inches at my Long Island home, now with time off I'm in Liberty NY (catskills) at my second home; a fresh 2 inches greeted me.

Anyhow, i have the week off and would like to know where is ground zero in NY state that would rival that in which I just experienced on Long Island?

I will go if it's within 3 or 4 hours of my location.

I'd love to see something that would wow me such as I remember when i was in oswego back in 1979.

So where do I go, where it's still fresh and not just piled high from weeks ago?

Any recommendations as well as depths I might expect? Syracuse perhaps. checked a noaa snow graph...42 inches currently?

Is that the place to be? that's 3 hours from me.

Thanks!

I don't think you are going to find more snow than you left on LI. Maybe some of the ski resorts, but it won't be real snow.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/nerfc/graphics/snowmaps/sd1_today.jpg

Yes I hate to say it, but go back to Long Island. LOL OR the Lower Hudson Valley from eastern Orange County then east of the river in Dutchess and eastern Columbia and Rensselaer Counties bordering nw CT and western MA and southern VT. That may be rural enough to have some dedicated snowmobile trails, It must be the best snow in the state.

You know how that LES is around Syracuse....yeah they had a lot, but that was awhile back and it sublimates faster than you can blink an eye. The quality and depth won't be any better than where the recent coastal storm max hit. The Tug Hill to Old Forge is in bad shape.

I don't think you are going to find more snow than you left on LI. Maybe some of the ski resorts, but it won't be real snow.

http://www.erh.noaa....s/sd1_today.jpg

There is not 42 inches on the ground in Syracuse. And I dont know if there ever has been in the last decade. Not sure how much was on the ground before the 1993 March storm.

We had about 30" on the ground around Dec. 12 at about the height of the lake effect a couple of weeks ago. It is now settled to about 1' where I am - about 15 minutes west of Syr.

As we have had no thaws - roof and car tops have stayed covered as well which is unusual around here. That of course will be changing today/tomorrow. Absolutely stunning outside right now with zero cloud cover. Makes you appreciate it all that much more when you never see the sun. I don't I've seen the sun for a month.

Archived