• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

• 2 weeks later...

The models are interesting this weekend. As expected for late April, there is a massive gradient over a very short distance…with the euro at 10-12” across central Larimer and a couple of feet  from the GFS. By eyeball, about 5 miles east and a couple of hundred feet in reduced elevation - rain.  

2 hours ago, ValpoVike said:

The models are interesting this weekend. As expected for late April, there is a massive gradient over a very short distance…with the euro at 10-12” across central Larimer and a couple of feet  from the GFS. By eyeball, about 5 miles east and a couple of hundred feet in reduced elevation - rain.  

This might be one of those times where you could take a walk uphill from your house and get snow, or downhill and get drenched. Either way, I like it- each day like this is a week less fire danger later on. Those long range summer outlooks are scary.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mayjawintastawm said:

This might be one of those times where you could take a walk uphill from your house and get snow, or downhill and get drenched. Either way, I like it- each day like this is a week less fire danger later on. Those long range summer outlooks are scary.

True and something that happens every spring. My neighbor 200’ above often receives several inches while I may get a sloppy mix, and my neighbor 300’ below is rain. All within adjacent property lines. Regarding fire danger, the state is forecasting “average”. I hope they are correct  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

18z NAM must see a lot of cold air. Dumping snow.

GFS and Euro have a lot more snow outside of the mountains than the AFD suggests

The last two events have been similar. Forecasts and AFDs have been very conservative while the GFS and Euro held steady for many days, and they seem to verify and slit the difference on accumulation. I am interested to see what happens here. 

16 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

18z NAM must see a lot of cold air. Dumping snow.

GFS and Euro have a lot more snow outside of the mountains than the AFD suggests

I had the most incredible ski day last weekend with 6 inches of fresh powder and empty trails, now my 4-packs are exhausted so no more this season, but it looks like the places that bet on a strong May will win big-time. Only A-Basin and Winter Park plan to be open beyond 5/12 though...

• Like 1