Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
8th Annual Mid-Atlantic Snowfall Contest

RodneyS

2 hours ago, 87storms said:

I always felt like this winter reminded me of 19/20...I think we even had a similar arctic outbreak the last week of December like we did this past winter.  I think one difference that made this worse was that it was just generally dry (further limiting the chances of frozen)...or at least it seemed that way.

You're correct about the lack of precipitation -- just 9.19 inches at DCA during December 2022-March 2023, as opposed to 11.59 during December 2019-March 2020.  December 2019 did not actually feature a true arctic outbreak, but the coldest day of the 2019-2020 winter season at DCA was on December 19, 2019, with a temperature range of 35/22.   In contrast December 24, 2022 did feature a true arctic outbreak, with a DCA temperature range of 22/9.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RodneyS said:

You're correct about the lack of precipitation -- just 9.19 inches at DCA during December 2022-March 2023, as opposed to 11.59 during December 2019-March 2020.  December 2019 did not actually feature a true arctic outbreak, but the coldest day of the 2019-2020 winter season at DCA was on December 19, 2019, with a temperature range of 35/22.   In contrast December 24, 2022 did feature a true arctic outbreak, with a DCA temperature range of 22/9.

I might have been thinking of 17/18 (though looks like it was early Jan when we had a frozen tundra outbreak).  I have pics/vids from previous winters (organized), but it's pretty disorganized since '19.  What I do know is that we're due for a blizzard.

37 minutes ago, 87storms said:

I might have been thinking of 17/18 (though looks like it was early Jan when we had a frozen tundra outbreak).  I have pics/vids from previous winters (organized), but it's pretty disorganized since '19.  What I do know is that we're due for a blizzard.

Yes, January 2018 featured a lengthy arctic outbreak and it occurred during a Weak La Nina.  January 4-7, 2018 at DCA featured a temperature range of 27/8.:o The four airports received 47.5 inches of snow that season, as compared with 48.1 inches durng the Moderate La Nina winter of 2021-22.

9 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Thanks for running this contest, RodneyS, not that you had to do anything. ;)

I did have to update the numbers on February 1st, but since the snowfall at each airport remained below what every contestant had forecast, the relative outcome did not change one iota after the update. :(