Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Spring Discussion 2021

Ahoff

11 hours ago, Ahoff said:

Tied for warmest of the year at 82.

Should easily go past that today, starting 6 degrees warmer than yesterday. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us get to 88-90. Need to average about 83/63 the rest of the month to finish with normal temps. If the Euro verifies it just might happen.

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Should easily go past that today, starting 6 degrees warmer than yesterday. Wouldn’t be surprised to see us get to 88-90. Need to average about 83/63 the rest of the month to finish with normal temps. If the Euro verifies it just might happen.

The weather app on the iPhone says 88 today 90 tomorrow.  We'll see, but some model must be picking that up.

But because it's Pittsburgh we'll likely stop at 89.

9 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

The weather app on the iPhone says 88 today 90 tomorrow.  We'll see, but some model must be picking that up.

That would be the HRRR, I believe. Tops us out at 88 today and 89 tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

How much stock do we put in that one?  I know we look to it for winter storms, but how does it perform outside winter?

I don’t look at the HRRR much besides winter and severe, and beyond that I’m no expert by any stretch, but the past few times we’ve had these cold to warm transitions this spring it’s done better than most. But the NWS seems to have us in the 84-85 range today with their forecast, so there’s some spread.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I don’t look at the HRRR much besides winter and severe, and beyond that I’m no expert by any stretch, but the past few times we’ve had these cold to warm transitions this spring it’s done better than most. But the NWS seems to have us in the 84-85 range today with their forecast, so there’s some spread.

I understand why they would stay lower, pushing 90 this time of year is tough to do, and forecasting it is bold, unless it's definitely got a shot.  Ten days later and maybe it'd make more sense.  Plus, we seemed to fall a little short of predictions for yesterday, I saw seeing 83-84.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

I understand why they would stay lower, pushing 90 this time of year is tough to do, and forecasting it is bold, unless it's definitely got a shot.  Ten days later and maybe it'd make more sense.  Plus, we seemed to fall a little short of predictions for yesterday, I saw seeing 83-84.

Morning lows have run cooler than forecast by several degrees too, which is gladly welcomed. That’ll change as dewpoints rise the next few days.

6 hours ago, Ahoff said:

88 seems a bit ambitious now, would take 6 degrees from here on.

We should reach 83 this afternoon for the first time since 9/10/2020 (251 days is good for 14th all time). Of note, both times in the 1900s that we hit 103 followed a cold season that was on this list, which is almost certainly a coincidence, given the sample size, but...

1 hour ago, TimB84 said:

88 seems a bit ambitious now, would take 6 degrees from here on.

We should reach 83 this afternoon for the first time since 9/10/2020 (251 days is good for 14th all time). Of note, both times in the 1900s that we hit 103 followed a cold season that was on this list, which is almost certainly a coincidence, given the sample size, but...

Yeah, temps stalled in typical Pittsburgh fashion.  I'd take maybe 1-3 degrees off the temps the next few days, they seem to be too high, still warm but too warm.

1 hour ago, Ahoff said:

Yeah, temps stalled in typical Pittsburgh fashion.  I'd take maybe 1-3 degrees off the temps the next few days, they seem to be too high, still warm but too warm.

Temps only soar around here when they have the chance to change a winter storm to rain, you know this.

4 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Temps only soar around here when they have the chance to change a winter storm to rain, you know this.

Of course.  Case and point is in our new normals for 1991-2020, the prior period had an average annual highest temperature of 92.7 degrees for any given year, this period, despite our highs rising for nearly all cases, has that average annual highest temperature down to 92.6.  Really weird that most summer temps rise but our warmest days do not.  I'd bet cities all around us, to the east, west, north, and south, had those highest temperatures rise.

43 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

Looks like temps are stalling again today.  Hasn't moved in quite a while.  Weird considering it's nothing but sun, so I don't really see what would slow the rise?

Still think we make 86-87, we’re still running a degree or two ahead of yesterday at nearly every hour.

10 hours ago, Ahoff said:

The fact that Syracuse and Burlington, VT both hit 92 is rather annoying.  Seems these far northern cities get way warmer than we do quite frequently.

Looks like Syracuse officially hit 93, which wasn’t even a daily record (record was 96, which has never been recorded in Pittsburgh in May). I did a little digging and found that their all time record high is 101 (including in 2012) but they hit 98 as recently as last summer.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Looks like Syracuse officially hit 93, which wasn’t even a daily record (record was 96, which has never been recorded in Pittsburgh in May). I did a little digging and found that their all time record high is 101 (including in 2012) but they hit 98 as recently as last summer.

Yeah, makes no sense how they consistently get warmer than us in summer.  I guess maybe their elevation is lower but still it's quite a bit north and closer to a larger body of water.