Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2018-19 Grade Thread

snowstormcanuck

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I guess we are going way OT. Theres nothing wrong with looking at winter objectively, i just dont understand what the heck the point of grading it is then.

For fun, of course.  And since it is just for fun, in the end people will use whatever scale they wish -- including how they feel.  All I can do is explain why I prefer a more objective standard.  Atlanta will never ever get a grade-A winter.  International Falls will probably never ever have a grade-D winter.  In imitation of life...some students just won't ever get A's no matter how hard they try.

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

But if anyone is ever up for having an all sub-forum get-together sometime to chat and have a beer or two, count me in.

Come up my way, this three-day torch was no match for our epic snow pack.   It may be slushy on the bottom but it still white on top and no grass is poking through yet.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 4:47 PM, beavis1729 said:

It saddens me that there aren't more hardcore winter weenies in this sub-forum, who hope for as much winter as possible. But if anyone is ever up for having an all sub-forum get-together sometime to chat and have a beer or two, count me in.

I am as hardcore a winter weenie as they come. Just because i disagree with your grading or your stance on chicago winters doesnt mean im not a huge winter weenie. I love every flake from the first in Oct to the last in Apr. You will never hear me say, like many others do in here, that they like snow but are ready for warmer weather,  or that they are at the point of wanting big storm or spring, or that they hope the dirty snow is washed away to start fresh since its getting dirty. And i take a trip north every winter. I still stand by my fact that our region gets more winter than most (here we usually get a bit more snow than chicago but chicago usually a bit colder), but i also love taking my yearly trips north knowing that im a 5 or 6 hour drive away from some of the best winter in this country.

And i would love a subforum get together!

EDIT-  fwiw I see the midatlantic subforum also has a grade thread and they pretty much grade by their climo, at least most of them.

• 2 weeks later...

B- for me. Not enough big LES events for me to give it any higher. I did get 1 1/2 days of extra vacation due to the lake effect blizzard that closed down the city which was awesome. December is my favorite winter month, so losing almost the entire month lowers the score substantially. We had one decent synoptic event and a bunch of average ones. But the 2 back to back big LES events in January up the score to a B-.