• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    crossbowftw3
    Newest Member
    crossbowftw3

Winter 2018-19 Grade Thread

On 3/13/2019 at 8:01 AM, ikcarsky said:

I think I see what you mean by "both ways" but this is awkward to me since the entire point of being objective here would be to provide a single standard by which a winter should be judged -- no matter where you are in the world.  Which standard to choose?  Pure numbers (80"+ seasonal snowfall) or relative to climo (10"+ above average)?  I would rather judge on criteria closer to the former than that latter.  There is some enjoyment from breaking records and knowing a given season is unusual and as you saw I do give points for that.  I just don't think it should be the basis of the scoring rubric.

To go off of your example, someone from the South coming living in Chicago for a year would be impressed by even a climatologically average Chicago winter, but even they would have to some sense of what a real "grade A" winter would be like, and that it wasn't what they experienced in Chicago.  Our culture gives the impression (reinforced around Christmastime) that winter means kids are bundled up from head to toe, the hearth is ablaze, and the snow is deep enough that you could use sleighs to get around.  You see it on decorations, media, your coffee mugs, etc.  And there are places in this country where that can happen on a consistent annual basis.  Shouldn't these places be the "grade A students" of winter?

This sums up my thoughts exactly, but in a much more eloquent way.  Great post.

If one wishes to judge a winter solely based on climo, you have to admit that winters in our area are extremely benign.  That approach is fine, I guess...but the problem is that no one ever admits this...either in this forum or among the public. You can't have it both ways.

As mentioned before, there were only 18 days in DJF 2018-19 with 3+" of snow cover at ORD (only 20% of the days), Dec 1st - Jan 15th were a complete disaster, and the last 3 weeks of February were bad too.  Only 3 weeks of the 13 were wintry.  So, the only way that Chicago could possibly receive a B or higher grade for this past winter (which I've seen some people give) is if their winter climo is horrible to begin with. 

Sure, some areas just north and west of Chicago did better...but the main point still holds.

That is what frustrates me about this board sometimes...and especially the public and media.  They seem to think Chicago has dreary/painful/relentless/never-ending/blah blah blah winters.  It's just not true.  Of course it may seem that way to people from Atlanta...but Atlanta doesn't have winter.  That's not a reasonable comparison.

But we all have our own opinions. All good. :D

Below is a post from someone on the forum who lives in New Sharon, ME.  Not the northern part of ME, the high arctic, Siberia, Alaska, or a mountainous area.  This is what winter thoughts and musings can be like; all fun and high expectations.  Only a C+ grade, with a current snow depth of 37-38"!  Even I wouldn't be that harsh. :D

If March-April come in right at C-level, this winter will score a solid C+, thanks to the A+ for (low-weighted) November and a B+ for January, overcoming December's D.  (And only Dec being BN temps kept it with a passing grade.)  I value pack depth and persistence, and this winter will almost certainly have 2nd highest SDDs of 21 here - after today will be over 2,500 and about 300 behind current #2 (2013-14) with 37-38" current depth, but 1,300 away from 2007-08.  Would need a blockbuster (or two), plus a cold April, to approach that winter - not happening.

Perhaps there is no use discussing this anymore, but at least someone else gets it. :snowman: :shiver: It saddens me that there aren't more hardcore winter weenies in this sub-forum, who hope for as much winter as possible. But if anyone is ever up for having an all sub-forum get-together sometime to chat and have a beer or two, count me in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

I guess we are going way OT. Theres nothing wrong with looking at winter objectively, i just dont understand what the heck the point of grading it is then.

For fun, of course.  And since it is just for fun, in the end people will use whatever scale they wish -- including how they feel.  All I can do is explain why I prefer a more objective standard.  Atlanta will never ever get a grade-A winter.  International Falls will probably never ever have a grade-D winter.  In imitation of life...some students just won't ever get A's no matter how hard they try.

4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

But if anyone is ever up for having an all sub-forum get-together sometime to chat and have a beer or two, count me in.

Come up my way, this three-day torch was no match for our epic snow pack.   It may be slushy on the bottom but it still white on top and no grass is poking through yet.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 4:47 PM, beavis1729 said:

It saddens me that there aren't more hardcore winter weenies in this sub-forum, who hope for as much winter as possible. But if anyone is ever up for having an all sub-forum get-together sometime to chat and have a beer or two, count me in.

I am as hardcore a winter weenie as they come. Just because i disagree with your grading or your stance on chicago winters doesnt mean im not a huge winter weenie. I love every flake from the first in Oct to the last in Apr. You will never hear me say, like many others do in here, that they like snow but are ready for warmer weather,  or that they are at the point of wanting big storm or spring, or that they hope the dirty snow is washed away to start fresh since its getting dirty. And i take a trip north every winter. I still stand by my fact that our region gets more winter than most (here we usually get a bit more snow than chicago but chicago usually a bit colder), but i also love taking my yearly trips north knowing that im a 5 or 6 hour drive away from some of the best winter in this country.

And i would love a subforum get together!