Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 23-25th Winter Storm

MNstorms

2 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm wondering what it's based on. If they can't detect precip - how do they make these maps? I realize there is a way, I'm just trying to figure out what it is. My background is biology and literature, so I have no idea what sort of physics are used for this type of thing and how it differs from radar.

Some is radar, most is old fashion reporting, John Dee for example. Takes a minute for reports to filter in. Radar estimation may be the intial map, idk for sure.

59 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Also, apparently, Calumet/Laurium is up to 305 inches of snow for the season. Idk the accuracy but the banks are saying it on their signs and I've heard it all over the place.

I'd say easily over 300" across the Peninsula. You can see the 3rd color purple showing up on this map. 20-30'. It's been an incredible winter up there for you guys. It's been more La Nina then El Nino. La Nina favors the upper lakes, El Nino the lower lakes. Should approach record depths with the next few systems going that way. Also a good chance of LES in the 1-2 week timeframe.

sfav2_CONUS_2018093012_to_2019022612.png