Total Members
    Most Online
    jensenburnett
    Newest Member
    jensenburnett
Minnesota_storms

February 23-25th Winter Storm

On 2/25/2019 at 10:19 AM, weatherbo said:

Map covers the entire storm, including Saturday's WAA snow of 4".  20-22" seems to have fallen here as best I can tell.   There is no settling left to do with the snow pack, the wind seems to have done that pretty much instantly as it fell.  Probably one of the worst storms I have ever seen, with the exception of last April.  That storm had more snow but didn't compare with the winds and the absolute heavy nature of this snow.  This will take a couple days to clear and lots of snow needs removed from the house.  Had a dream last night the roof collapsed.  MQT has seen 87.2" this month and I must be somewhere between 95-100".  I seriously can't keep up with measuring. On a side note, as a result of all the snow this winter to date, I'm probably in the best shape I have ever been in! :D

sfav2_CONUS_48h_2019022512.png.d031d2533ba156cb86e353302c7815d8.png

I would kill people to figure out how these maps are made. They're never accurate for my area...but they're more accurate than you would expect from the non-existent radar returns we get whenever weatherbo stands up on a ladder.

11 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I would kill people to figure out how these maps are made. They're never accurate for my area...but they're more accurate than you would expect from the non-existent radar returns we get whenever weatherbo stands up on a ladder.

Lol... that was an intial map. This updated one encompasses the entire storm, should be more to your liking. Its not just based on radar estimation.

2E346A37-5C7E-40C3-9ACC-D4B8BA790B0A.jpeg.eca083cb9ef920700f5f2fd8e9433762.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weatherbo said:

Lol... that was an intial map. This updated one encompasses the entire storm, should be more to your liking. Its not just based on radar estimation.

2E346A37-5C7E-40C3-9ACC-D4B8BA790B0A.jpeg.eca083cb9ef920700f5f2fd8e9433762.jpeg

I'm wondering what it's based on. If they can't detect precip - how do they make these maps? I realize there is a way, I'm just trying to figure out what it is. My background is biology and literature, so I have no idea what sort of physics are used for this type of thing and how it differs from radar.

2 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

I'm wondering what it's based on. If they can't detect precip - how do they make these maps? I realize there is a way, I'm just trying to figure out what it is. My background is biology and literature, so I have no idea what sort of physics are used for this type of thing and how it differs from radar.

Some is radar, most is old fashion reporting, John Dee for example. Takes a minute for reports to filter in. Radar estimation may be the intial map, idk for sure.

59 minutes ago, (((Will))) said:

Also, apparently, Calumet/Laurium is up to 305 inches of snow for the season. Idk the accuracy but the banks are saying it on their signs and I've heard it all over the place.

I'd say easily over 300" across the Peninsula. You can see the 3rd color purple showing up on this map. 20-30'. It's been an incredible winter up there for you guys. It's been more La Nina then El Nino. La Nina favors the upper lakes, El Nino the lower lakes. Should approach record depths with the next few systems going that way. Also a good chance of LES in the 1-2 week timeframe.

sfav2_CONUS_2018093012_to_2019022612.png