• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Regional Climate Centers Defunded

CaWx

Why do we need regional climate centers? We have NCEI (formerly NCDC) at the National Level and each

state has a climatologist for the details of each state.  I never understood what they do. The state's handle

the local level climate analysis, NWS offices handle and maintain the cooperative observer network and this

covers all the local details. Great way to save funds...

There seem to be a lot of overspending and it seems like there is a way to make things more concise and cost effective which being in a science field it boggles my mind it hasnt already evolved to that. I get it will lose jobs seems to be a running theme anymore but instead of defunding the organizations like NWS/NOAA and NASA why not consolidate and have better usage of funds. I feel we at one point were doing fairly well in the weather field and somewhere within the last 20 years things seemed to get lost. We struggle with having a computer model that can handle computations and give ideas more than a few days in advance, not that the Euro can be much better but it tends to be a little more consistent with its ideas.

If we can start to improve on a lot of these and really give a boost to these organizations we can surely see less defunding and less cuts but it is going to be a long road.

3 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

There seem to be a lot of overspending and it seems like there is a way to make things more concise and cost effective which being in a science field it boggles my mind it hasnt already evolved to that. I get it will lose jobs seems to be a running theme anymore but instead of defunding the organizations like NWS/NOAA and NASA why not consolidate and have better usage of funds. I feel we at one point were doing fairly well in the weather field and somewhere within the last 20 years things seemed to get lost. We struggle with having a computer model that can handle computations and give ideas more than a few days in advance, not that the Euro can be much better but it tends to be a little more consistent with its ideas.

If we can start to improve on a lot of these and really give a boost to these organizations we can surely see less defunding and less cuts but it is going to be a long road.

Concur. Funding needs to be prioritized for research.  1) better forecasts and communications of severe storms, tornados etc and  2) short term climate variability (seasonal forecasting)  are areas that benefit humanity and should be a priority.  This climate change / global warming tunnel vision focus on CO2 has put our understanding of climate back at least one generation...

18 minutes ago, blizzard1024 said:

Concur. Funding needs to be prioritized for research.  1) better forecasts and communications of severe storms, tornados etc and  2) short term climate variability (seasonal forecasting)  are areas that benefit humanity and should be a priority.  This climate change / global warming tunnel vision focus on CO2 has put our understanding of climate back at least one generation...

Yea long range understanding is not a bad field to get into but there are way too many things that can alter that outcome that we have yet to fully understand and get under our belts. When we can start doing solid week timeframe forecasts without going from 95 and hot and humid to 81 and torrential downpours then we can start to progress further along. Until then lets start to focus more on short term changes/ fluctuations and how they affect us and then apply it to future understandings. Looking 30 years into the future is certainly not helping the cause. 

Great way to save funds?  Sorry but that's a bunch of horse$hit.

Unless the US' GDP is 100 million a year, this is probably the worst possible way to "save funds." I can think of maybe 1000 other ways we can actually save funds. 

Scientific research, study, and discovery is at the heart of all subsequent economic prosperity. If you really want the US to be a leader, science should be funded up the wazoo. 

I find ANY science being defunded a traitorous act. 

23 hours ago, so_whats_happening said:

Yea long range understanding is not a bad field to get into but there are way too many things that can alter that outcome that we have yet to fully understand and get under our belts. When we can start doing solid week timeframe forecasts without going from 95 and hot and humid to 81 and torrential downpours then we can start to progress further along. Until then lets start to focus more on short term changes/ fluctuations and how they affect us and then apply it to future understandings. Looking 30 years into the future is certainly not helping the cause. 

Are you aware of the difference between statistical and deterministic modeling?

On 6/26/2017 at 3:52 PM, Sundog said:

Great way to save funds?  Sorry but that's a bunch of horse$hit.

Unless the US' GDP is 100 million a year, this is probably the worst possible way to "save funds." I can think of maybe 1000 other ways we can actually save funds. 

Scientific research, study, and discovery is at the heart of all subsequent economic prosperity. If you really want the US to be a leader, science should be funded up the wazoo. 

I find ANY science being defunded a traitorous act. 

It is a shame, and a complete downright embarassment to not fund any science that provides meaningful data to better our understanding of our planet. Considering I watched approx. 25 million dollars worth of cruise missiles launched into Syria (being conservative with estimates), I'd say cuts like this enrage me even more. I'm not sure what the total fiscal funding regional climate centers receive a year, even it is close to 1 Billion, we receive very valuable climate information. I go to sites like WRCC and HPRCC nearly everyday to look at long term temperature and precipitation trends. I seriously wish the people had a certain percentage of control of where our tax dollars could fund. With the US GDP, there is absolutely no reason why even 20 Billion couldn't be allocated to weather/climate science in NOAA. 

On 6/24/2017 at 11:55 PM, CaWx said:

Please, anyone that has even the slightest interest in climate sciences, please sign the petition to continue regional climate center funding. What a shame, I feel like we live in a twilight zone. Why are we defunding science? If there is anything I want my tax dollars going too, would be science programs. 

https://hprcc.unl.edu/maps.php?map=ACISClimateMaps

I did. It is surreal that we live in an increasingly anti-knowledge era in which science, evidence, and truth are rejected.

On 6/25/2017 at 6:38 PM, blizzard1024 said:

I couldn't disagree more. There are diminishing returns in weather forecasting while our entire environment is being impacted by climate change increasing the need for research and we'd be getting much more value for our climate change research if the findings weren't ignored/discounted.

On 6/28/2017 at 5:03 PM, donsutherland1 said:

I did. It is surreal that we live in an increasingly anti-knowledge era in which science, evidence, and truth are rejected.

I just can't believe out of all the things they choose to cut, science is on the list. It is so disheartening, I mean its not even that much money. Science absolutely needs funding, it shouldn't be left to the private sector. IF RCC loses their fundings, they totally need to start a go fund me page, I would donate a few hundred easily. 

Archived