Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Lawn, Garden and Pool Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Regarding hornworms...just look for their droppings and you should be able to find them.

If any have white eggs sticking out of them, leave them be. Those are the eggs of braconid wasps, which feed on hornworms, and those hornworms that have been used as hosts won't eat anything else. The more braconids you've got, the more likely they'll find any hornworms you've missed.

So glad you posted this. Found two today with white things on their backs. Doesn't look like they have eaten any tomatoes, so I'll leave them be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, mappy said:

So glad you posted this. Found two today with white things on their backs. Doesn't look like they have eaten any tomatoes, so I'll leave them be

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome...glad the advice helped!

Those braconids can make quick work of hornworms, so it's great to have them around. They're pretty nasty looking, so it's understandable if someone not aware of that parasite-"host" relationship would want to immediately get rid of that hornworm. Keep on the lookout for any other hornworms, as they can still do *some* damage before they get parasitized, but the likelihood is that they'll get found out pretty quickly and not have the chance to have any major effect on your plants.

On 8/3/2017 at 7:35 AM, mattie g said:

Awesome...glad the advice helped!

Those braconids can make quick work of hornworms, so it's great to have them around. They're pretty nasty looking, so it's understandable if someone not aware of that parasite-"host" relationship would want to immediately get rid of that hornworm. Keep on the lookout for any other hornworms, as they can still do *some* damage before they get parasitized, but the likelihood is that they'll get found out pretty quickly and not have the chance to have any major effect on your plants.

yeah, i haven't found anymore, just the two. 

• 1 month later...

I rented an aerator about a week ago so I could aerate my lawn for the first time since 2009 (the year we moved in). Seed was laid this weekend, and I've been watering fairly heavily since.

I've had some real issues with my lawn over the last few years since we no longer have pros doing the fertilizing and weed control, so it's going to take a couple years to bring it back up to speed. Main problem in the front is that wild violet has really taken over, so hopefully the lawn service we have now will be able to get rid of it. In the back I've got all kinds of broadleaf weeds and random grasses, as well as mossy sections where there's a lot of shade. It'll take some work, but I actually think that might be an easier fix than the wild violet issues in the front.

The warm, dry weather is a bit of an annoyance in that I have to water more than I'd like, but as long as I keep up the watering, the seed should germinate pretty quickly. I just need my pup to not scrape up the backyard *EVERY TIME* he takes a leak or drops a deuce! I love him to death, but my God that's an annoying habit he's got! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived