• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
t-storm warning stuff

how come all t-storm warning have more intense wording this year? for instance :

IMPACT...EXPECT DAMAGE TO ROOFS...SIDING...AND TREES.

Is practically on every t-storm warning this year.  If not, more intense wording.   Meanwhile the chance of this happening is a small chance. 

So why not wording more like "possible impacts: Damage to roofs , siding, and trees"

When it just says "Impact: Expect damage to roofs" ... that makes it sound like everybody is going to have roof damage.

dunno..just my opinion.  

On 8/16/2016 at 4:39 PM, Bacon Strips said:

how come all t-storm warning have more intense wording this year? for instance :

Is practically on every t-storm warning this year.  If not, more intense wording.   Meanwhile the chance of this happening is a small chance. 

So why not wording more like "possible impacts: Damage to roofs , siding, and trees"

When it just says "Impact: Expect damage to roofs" ... that makes it sound like everybody is going to have roof damage.

dunno..just my opinion.  

It is due to a switch to impact-based warnings, or IBW's. The change included adding separate lines for the hazard, source and impact. The impacts that are listed are specifically tied to the hazard(s) that are chosen and included in the warning. Basically for example a warning for 60 mph gusts, if that actually occurred then the expected impact would be damage to roofs, siding and trees. The IBW's were tested in the central states for awhile and then other areas were added, but earlier this year it was expanded to basically everywhere. The wording was changed several times based on feedback during testing in several places. Hope this helps.

20 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm surprised you even read it? I haven't payed attention to the wording in years. I just see T-Storm Warning and I know what that means. I think the majority of people are immune to the warning and go about their business and whatever happens...happens.

You meant Severe Thunderstorm Warning, right? :)

4 hours ago, MGorse said:

4 hours ago, MGorse said:

That's correct. You can tell how much I pay attention to wording. In my book, T-storms are coming so watch out. We all know what T-storm's (severe) can do so take the necessary precautions. I understand these warnings must be posted but much of the time people in the severe warning areas get an average T-storm but nothing major. Basically, march on with life. Thanks for the explanation above though.  

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

That's correct. You can tell how much I pay attention to wording. In my book, T-storms are coming so watch out. We all know what T-storm's (severe) can do so take the necessary precautions. I understand these warnings must be posted but much of the time people in the severe warning areas get an average T-storm but nothing major. Basically, march on with life. Thanks for the explanation above though.  

I think because the immediate Philly metro area doesn't get "as severe" (on a regular basis) with thunderstorms as other areas and other parts of the country based on the terrain (Piedmont foothills) and change in climatology.  We often bemoan those strong lines falling apart before they get here where those areas that they come from in central PA get slammed. I have watched storms pass overhead of me running eastbound (and downhill) on their way to Jersey, where they pick up speed and intensity again, and slam S. Jersey as soon as they cross the river!

When I was growing up, I used to see hail here in the city (during the '70s) at least once or twice a summer.  Since then I think I only recall seeing hail maybe once (and only recently) in the past 20 - 25 years.  With all the construction downtown since the building height restrictions were lifted in the early '80s, the heat island effect has been pretty significant and apparently extends all the way up to higher levels of the atmosphere (melting any potential ice pellets that might have formed).

3 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I think because the immediate Philly metro area doesn't get "as severe" (on a regular basis) with thunderstorms as other areas and other parts of the country based on the terrain (Piedmont foothills) and change in climatology.  We often bemoan those strong lines falling apart before they get here where those areas that they come from in central PA get slammed. I have watched storms pass overhead of me running eastbound (and downhill) on their way to Jersey, where they pick up speed and intensity again, and slam S. Jersey as soon as they cross the river!

When I was growing up, I used to see hail here in the city (during the '70s) at least once or twice a summer.  Since then I think I only recall seeing hail maybe once (and only recently) in the past 20 - 25 years.  With all the construction downtown since the building height restrictions were lifted in the early '80s, the heat island effect has been pretty significant and apparently extends all the way up to higher levels of the atmosphere (melting any potential ice pellets that might have formed).

Same here. Hail was decently common during the 70s. Now, I can't remember the last time I seen hail. Also, I used to see super dark clouds (almost black) in the distance approaching before a T-storm accompanied by wind and rumbles. And this was somewhat common. It's not the same now.

Archived