• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Does Alex Tsironis post/read here? MoCoSnow Twitter

gymengineer

The student newspaper at the school I teach at included a nice little article about him and how he became the "trusted" source for predicting snow days (96% success rate, apparently) for our school system (MCPS). He said that he compiles the forecasts from computer models, TV stations, and websites. 

I checked out his predictions often last season and found that they generally matched what was expected in here, including the school closure predictions in the banter threads.  

The student newspaper at the school I teach at included a nice little article about him and how he became the "trusted" source for predicting snow days (96% success rate, apparently) for our school system (MCPS). He said that he compiles the forecasts from computer models, TV stations, and websites. 

I checked out his predictions often last season and found that they generally matched what was expected in here, including the school closure predictions in the banter threads.

Hey everyone, this is Alex Tsironis. This is my first time on the board, someone sent me a link to the thread and I just started my 2 day trial.

Gymengineer, thank you for checking out the predictions. I think, for the most part, predictions for school closings/delays will be similar across the board, but I can tell you they aren't based on any other predictions or anything like that. Often times, my predictions have disagreed with those of Devon Lucie and Howard Bernstein who have both been "guest predictors" on MoCoSnow. Cool article though, the young lady did a great job.

Hey everyone, this is Alex Tsironis. This is my first time on the board, someone sent me a link to the thread and I just started my 2 day trial.

Gymengineer, thank you for checking out the predictions. I think, for the most part, predictions for school closings/delays will be similar across the board, but I can tell you they aren't based on any other predictions or anything like that. Often times, my predictions have disagreed with those of Devon Lucie and Howard Bernstein who have both been "guest predictors" on MoCoSnow. Cool article though, the young lady did a great job.

Welcome to the board. Yeah, I didn't think you were claiming others' predictions as your own, or anything like that. Most of us end up being the go-to person at our workplaces, schools, etc., for answering "How much snow are we going to get?" or "Are we going to have school tomorrow?"

Did you find it interesting that MCPS used the 2-hr-delay to full-day closure for a second time (on 2/26) after being forced to use that progression for the 1/6 clipper? The last time I remember a 2-hr-delay to closure was in early 2/04, with a freezing rain event. 

I liked that the county was consistent in the past two seasons in terms what would cause a two-day closure. It helped that the two early March events in 2014 and 2015 were eerily similar. 

I saw the article too (I'm a student).

I feel like for most snow events are pretty easy to predict school closures. He says that he bases his predictions partly on connections to MCPS personnel who are out surveying in addition to forecasts.

Yay Blair! Glad to see someone else in the school really into the weather. 

Archived