• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Northern Ohio Obs/Discussion Part 2

Trent

Same here. Nice start. Now we see what happens with the les. The biggest wild card is wind direction but the dry Arctic air is also a concern. Still looks like north of here does the best but we may get a decent snowfall.

Ya Cle mentions the dry air possibly becoming a concern later on.

Good band forming now from here out towards the west side.

The bands are coming in from WNW to ESE and have been for several hours, but for some reason the southernmost band is coming in near Euclid towards Chesterland. The colder air over land must really be keeping the trough from pushing any farther south. Almost wonder if there's ice developing near the south shore of the western basin keeping the bands so far north. There should've been some good accums overnight where the bands happened to persist.

Picked up maybe a half inch overnight of very dry small flake size snow. Disappointing to see the bands orienting themselves NW/SE but not making it here.

CLE has had 6.4" since last Sunday, but hasn't had more than 2" on the ground, with a similar story IMBY. I forget how "easy" it is to add to the seasonal snowfall total here without much to show for it.

My only guess is the cold air inland kept the trough north. I can't ever remember bands staying so far north with 850mb winds turning almost due NW. It looks like only the southern fringes of my heavier amounts will struggle to hit the low end of my numbers but I'm really surprised things aren't farther south than last week's event.

Picked up about 2" overnight. The bands must have shifted north fairly quickly. Looks slightly further north than last week. Hopefully we can get them to swing back later today.

If I'm doing my math right you're up to about 5" so far which is okay. The band is already lifting farther north, we'll see how far that next trough later tonight can push things back south.

The bands are coming in from WNW to ESE and have been for several hours, but for some reason the southernmost band is coming in near Euclid towards Chesterland. The colder air over land must really be keeping the trough from pushing any farther south. Almost wonder if there's ice developing near the south shore of the western basin keeping the bands so far north. There should've been some good accums overnight where the bands happened to persist.

That must have been the case. Everything looked great with the wind direction... but not with the band placement. I'm guessing the western basin is mostly ice covered at this point.

If I'm doing my math right you're up to about 5" so far which is okay. The band is already lifting farther north, we'll see how far that next trough later tonight can push things back south.

Yep 5.25" total so far. I tried to be conservative measuring this morning, as there was some drifting.

OHweather looks to be sitting good for the end of week storm. Maybe we can get that to toss some scraps our way too lol.

I'm sorry but I don't think I can even concede scraps if I want to stay all snow :lol:

Was planning on driving to Cleveland on Saturday so I'm not sure how much I want the storm to happen here, we'll see.

Talked with someone in Willougby who indicated 10" or so. Aren't the winds supposed to turn more NW'erly later tonight? Thought a trough was going to push through.

Yeah, a trough is still expected to push through. The winds will probably back a little more ahead of it though and keep the bands confined to your north before they swing back south later tonight into early Tuesday. You'll again be on the fringe...my current guess is you'll get somewhere between 1 and 3" tonight into tomorrow, but it doesn't take a huge shift for you to get more.

Based on some reports CLE sent out it looks like most of extreme NE Cuyahoga...southern Lake...and northern Geauga is at 8-12" total currently with some areas locally a bit higher. The snow will continue in a lot of those areas (especially southern Lake and northern Geauga) for quite some time so totals exceeding 18" locally wouldn't be surprising. Also a couple of impressive totals from Erie County PA where I'm sure some spots will get about 2 feet.

Pretty good event overall, just wish it was more widespread for you guys. LakeEffectOH should've gotten a lot it looks like.

Will give an accurate updated report this evening.

Got 3" yesterday and 9" overnight. When I left this morning @ 7:45ish, was snowing around 2+" an hour. Been checking the weather cam today at the university and has been snowing all day. I am north and west of the school at higher elevation, so usually get more.

My wife cleared the driveway again at 12ish, so maybe we r pushing 20"...?

Not sure the trough will make it very far south tonight. Seems to be stuck to the north. Hope I'm wrong of course but got to follow trends this season. Another great event just north. I will not doubt the NMM the rest of the season. It had southern lake county as the jackpot and has been spot,on.

Picked up an inch + last night. No surprise as the heaviest snows stayed north once again. For some reason winds had a hard time turning NW'erly. Troughs seem to get hung up on the south lake shore. Looking upstream at the other lakes there was a well defined NW flow but just not this far south.

Snowing pretty good out there now. Perhaps a couple inches down this way today if the snow can hang on.