• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Florida Dry Season 2014/2015

ocala

Had some decent rain but still could use more. Sunday into Monday 1.1 fell then Christmas eve another .30.

Next week looks cool again after a brief warm up. Be glad when the warmth comes back and stays cause Ive gotten spoiled here not really having to deal with the cold.

I hear ya FLweather. I want it to be warm again too. Unfortunately, climatologically this is the coldest time of the year.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hear ya FLweather. I want it to be warm again too. Unfortunately, climatologically this is the coldest time of the year.

Yeah Im glad Im not the only one... but I can wait. Usually first of feb is it for frost chances so I guess another solid month and back to warm. Thats good though hoping to get crops in the ground around the end of feb early march. Ive got 20 by 30 pumpkin patch tilled up and going to do another 20 by 30 general veggie garden.

Had some decent rain but still could use more. Sunday into Monday 1.1 fell then Christmas eve another .30.

Next week looks cool again after a brief warm up. Be glad when the warmth comes back and stays cause Ive gotten spoiled here not really having to deal with the cold.

Blasphemy! ;)

Good to hear you're enjoying the Florida weather overall.

Pumpkins in FL? How they turn out?

Dunno yet. Going to find out shortly --next couple of months. Any thing can be grown anywhere in the world as long as the requirements are met- weather outdoors or greenhouse(indoors). Though Id imagine it would be hard to grow something like that in coastal areas due to the salinity of the soil. I tilled in leaves and hay to get it composting in the ground. Next month or so going to get about 9cuyds of mushroom compost to add to both areas. 

I know there are areas in South FL and even around here that grow corn. If corn can grow so can pumpkins. Both are about tit for tat as nutrient requirements go.. corn perfers a little bit more N.

Blasphemy! ;)

Good to hear you're enjoying the Florida weather overall.

Lol. Right ...I sure enjoyed the weather espeically snow and ice in NC but ah seen one flake you seen them all. Even though I dont really enjoy the traffic congestion and the high population of morons down here... the weather and being close to family again out weighs the snow aspect of being up north and idiots. Cant beat flip flops, shorts , short sleeves just about all the time. I can count up on two hands since Sept since I wore a jacket and jeans. I was FL born now I going to FL die unless I hit the lotto between now and then. I will buy a mountain home in NC/TN in the most favored areas of upslope for winter time residence. 

Dunno yet. Going to find out shortly --next couple of months. Any thing can be grown anywhere in the world as long as the requirements are met- weather outdoors or greenhouse(indoors). Though Id imagine it would be hard to grow something like that in coastal areas due to the salinity of the soil. I tilled in leaves and hay to get it composting in the ground. Next month or so going to get about 9cuyds of mushroom compost to add to both areas. 

I know there are areas in South FL and even around here that grow corn. If corn can grow so can pumpkins. Both are about tit for tat as nutrient requirements go.. corn perfers a little bit more N.

You sound like much more the farmer than me but I dabble and have had my best luck with flowers and herbs here on the Treasure Coast of FL. Have no idea why you are sowing pumpkins NOW …….. but NOW would probably be your best bet because if you did this with having a Halloween crop in mind it would be TOAST and I don't care what you do to the soil! 

Having the finances for a crop such as pumpkins grown in a greenhouse / controlled environment is entirely another story.

Best of luck to you and please do keep us updated.

Another big rainfall today. Over 3 inches and still coming down.
This is the 3rd major rain event this winter. In November I had over 5 inches with one storm. In December over 2 inches with another storm and then todays rain. Outside of those three events it's been pretty dry.
A weather station SE of me had over 4 inches.

late evening heavy shower netted me exactly .69

Awesome on the big 3" plus O!

3.46 to be exact. I was tied for 7th in the state with another station in Palm Bay.  3.79 was the winner in Winter Haven.That 4 plus total I told you about was from a weather station not cocorahs.

• 8 months later...

Archived