• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tornado Data

I have a couple notebooks which are filled with every single tornado producing day for the months of March, April, and May across the continental United States from 1950-2013.  What I would like to do is work and compose a data set which also breaks the data down into number of tornadoes per event.  I'm doing a talk in my public speaking class and Monday and would like to get this done ASAP but I know it's alot of work.  

Anyways, before I get going into any of this, I was wondering if anyone knows if this data has already composed and exists out there somewhere or perhaps some of the severe wx gurus here have something.  To be clear if there is this data already out there I will absolutely be giving credit where it's due and will not be taking any credit for the work that has been done.  

I think this will really pertain more to those periods of extreme active times where you have one event from like a Monday to Tuesday but then another separate event from like Wednesday to Thursday and so forth.   

I have a couple notebooks which are filled with every single tornado producing day for the months of March, April, and May across the continental United States from 1950-2013.  What I would like to do is work and compose a data set which also breaks the data down into number of tornadoes per event.  I'm doing a talk in my public speaking class and Monday and would like to get this done ASAP but I know it's alot of work.  

Anyways, before I get going into any of this, I was wondering if anyone knows if this data has already composed and exists out there somewhere or perhaps some of the severe wx gurus here have something.  To be clear if there is this data already out there I will absolutely be giving credit where it's due and will not be taking any credit for the work that has been done.  

I think this will really pertain more to those periods of extreme active times where you have one event from like a Monday to Tuesday but then another separate event from like Wednesday to Thursday and so forth.   

Patrick Marsh (now at SPC) broke down the daily climos for the US, so presumably he has the data set you're looking for...

Patrick Marsh (now at SPC) broke down the daily climos for the US, so presumably he has the data set you're looking for...

That would be nice!  

I wouldn't mind doing it all myself but given how my speech is Monday I'm trying to get something ASAP so I can take more time preparing my speech and practicing it over and over.  

Or if I have do I could just use daily tornado tallies.  This isn't a high tech scientific speech...the theme is about the claim that climate change is leading to more tornadoes and outbreaks with more tornadoes and such...my stance is we don't have enough tornado data to make that claim and my counterargument to my stance will be to say, although the past decade we have seen more events produce an x amount of tornadoes than past decades...then I obviously have some counter to this (talking about increase in spotters/chaser and the use of Doppler Radar and radar upgrades.  

Not sure how accurate this is as I just looked at each date in my notebook and did my best to just gauge which multi-day events were linked together.  Anyways what I was looking for was events which produced 100 tornadoes or more since 1950.  I came up with 14 events;

(Only looking at the months of March, April, and May)

May 27th-31st, 2013 (136 tornadoes)

April 13th-16th, 2012 (116 tornadoes)

April 14th-16th, 2011 (178 tornadoes)

April 25th-28th, 2011 (349 tornadoes)

May 21st-26th, 2011 (239 tornadoes)

May 22nd-26th, 2008 (161 tornadoes)

May 4th-6th, 2007 (134 tornadoes)

May 29th-31st, 2004 (172 tornadoes)

May 4th-6th, 2003 (180 tornadoes)

May 7th-11th, 2003 (173 tornadoes)

May 3rd-5th, 1999 (130 tornadoes)

May 25th-27th, 1997 (104 tornadoes)

April 19th-21st, 1996 (112 tornadoes)

April 25th-27th, 1994 (105 tornadoes)

May 5th-8th, 1993 (102 tornadoes)

April 3rd-4th, 1974 (147 tornadoes)

The number of tornadoes isn't really important for what I need...but just wanted to see if I at least got the correct amount of dates and such.  I'm using the fact that we've seen events of 100+ tornadoes more as of late as the counterargument to my claim so just want to make sure this is all good.  

I've been pouring through data myself the last few days, so I've been all over the wiki page. Anyways, it goes back to 1950 up through this week. Gives you dates, locations and number of confirmed tornadors

This site is certainly awesome!  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_tornadoes_and_tornado_outbreaks#1950.E2.80.931959

Just a little confusing though...some of the confirmed number of tornadoes seem a bit different than what I get from tornadohistoryproject.com.  

For example, for the April 19th-21st, 1996 outbreak I tallied 112 confirmed tornadoes from tornadohistoryproject.com but the wiki page says 117.  I'm assuming that also includes confirmed tornadoes in Canada b/c it does say that 3 were confirmed in Canada...but that still means it's 114 in the US to the 112 I got.  

I've noticed with the wiki page that they sometimes add extra days to outbreaks that we normally wouldn't. So I try to use the two together to get the data set I'm after.

Yeah they do.  Looks like they will include like a day prior to the actual outbreak if the system produces even a few tornadoes and the same for the day following a major outbreak.  

Such a great link though...was able to get exactly what I was looking for.  

Yeah they do. Looks like they will include like a day prior to the actual outbreak if the system produces even a few tornadoes and the same for the day following a major outbreak.

Such a great link though...was able to get exactly what I was looking for.

Glad to hear it!

Archived