amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ice Jam Delaware river

Mitchell Gaines

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Years back, I remember them dynamiting ice on the river; I could hear it from my parents house.  Pretty surreal. 

I'm not sure about depth 1 mile below the Route 1 bridge; I thought it was deeper there.  Above the bridge (between the Route 1 bridge and the Calhoun Street Bridge) are the "Falls of the Delaware", where the river drops off the Fall Line between the Piedmont and the Atlantic Coastal Plain.  Its kinda shallow there with the rapids.

Years back, I remember them dynamiting ice on the river; I could hear it from my parents house.  Pretty surreal. 

I'm not sure about depth 1 mile below the Route 1 bridge; I thought it was deeper there.  Above the bridge (between the Route 1 bridge and the Calhoun Street Bridge) are the "Falls of the Delaware", where the river drops off the Fall Line between the Piedmont and the Atlantic Coastal Plain.  Its kinda shallow there with the rapids.

Yep.  I believe a mile below the Rt 1 bridge the river is tidally influenced, so the depths are certainly higher

Here is the inundation mapping for the trenton gauge.  You can see the shallow depths right above the gauge (the fall line) with the depths going deeper south of that point.  I know for a fact that the river is certainly tidally influenced at the Rt 29 tunnel as I have seen the tidal changes as well as the wetland plants associated with the tidal fluctuations.

post-240-0-58119200-1389208274_thumb.png

I am no expert but it appears that the ice flowing down the river is damming up against the bridges at Trenton.  If we were dealing with excessive river flow along with the damming, that could be a potentially huge deal which could result in damage (or worse) to the bridges.  Thankfully, that is not the case. 

Ironically enough, we discussed this literally a few days ago in a thread about how this had happened (ice dams against bridges coupled with insanely high river flows) in a number of places in PA during the late January 1996 thaw.  Back then, a number of bridges were washed out as a result.  Again, thankfully, that is not what is happening at Trenton now, and, since we do NOT have 30" of snow laying around waiting to flash melt like we did in '96, this is not likely to happen anytime soon either.      

I am no expert but it appears that the ice flowing down the river is damming up against the bridges at Trenton.  If we were dealing with excessive river flow along with the damming, that could be a potentially huge deal which could result in damage (or worse) to the bridges.  Thankfully, that is not the case. 

Ironically enough, we discussed this literally a few days ago in a thread about how this had happened (ice dams against bridges coupled with insanely high river flows) in a number of places in PA during the late January 1996 thaw.  Back then, a number of bridges were washed out as a result.  Again, thankfully, that is not what is happening at Trenton now, and, since we do NOT have 30" of snow laying around waiting to flash melt like we did in '96, this is not likely to happen anytime soon either.      

The USGS site shows the current flow at Trenton up to 130,000 cubic feet per second, and rising.  Not sure if the ice jam can mess with the flow meter  (knowing what I know of flow meters, probably), but that level is quite high

The USGS site shows the current flow at Trenton up to 130,000 cubic feet per second, and rising.  Not sure if the ice jam can mess with the flow meter  (knowing what I know of flow meters, probably), but that level is quite high

Not sure how those work, but wonder if its just estimating flow based on the water level?  Too lazy to look it up right now ;)

Not sure how those work, but wonder if its just estimating flow based on the water level?  Too lazy to look it up right now ;)

I believe they use pressure to push a float inside the cylinder of the meter.  As pressure increases, the force pushes the float upwards inside the cyclinder and a reading is then made.  I suppose then, that the force is certainly higher now with the jam downstream, and thus reading as increased flow?

quite an idiosyncratic situation there.  

credit to the guys at Trenton so far though, keeping it below flood stage the last several hours..

wish we could get more details on what methods their using....if the jams are so close to bridges, the dynamite scenario seems out the window. 

temperatures below 20 all night tonight = bad.

wow @ the big jump Easton took in the last 18 hours.  11 feet to 17 feet. 

quite an idiosyncratic situation there.  

credit to the guys at Trenton so far though, keeping it below flood stage the last several hours..

wish we could get more details on what methods their using....if the jams are so close to bridges, the dynamite scenario seems out the window. 

I can't imagine they are doing anything...just changes in levels from time to time due to ice shifting perhaps. 

Archived