• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Forecast and Lines, nifty visual weather forecasting sites

Forecast and Lines

Cool little "At a glance tools" from the people who made the Dark Sky iPhone app. They have beautiful graphs/maps to visually represent model data (Including their own).

What do people think of this? A cool way to introduce people to long range forecasting to show model variability?

Stupid.

Forecasts to the hundredth of a degree 7 days out?  And their "forecast" in the long range is really just the mean of two data points, the GFS and GGEM?  Where's the value in that?

It's all pretty and shiny but it lacks any new or useful meteorological information. 

Stupid.

Forecasts to the hundredth of a degree 7 days out?  And their "forecast" in the long range is really just the mean of two data points, the GFS and GGEM?  Where's the value in that?

It's all pretty and shiny but it lacks any new or useful meteorological information. 

really? the model outputs are very cool. did you even browse? 

Stupid.

I'm confused. Why is that stupid? And why is there no value in having a visual comparison of several models when you hover over a time point?

All models dump their numbers with decimal places...they have to be rounded if you want them cleaned up for text output or meteograms (or "lines"). 

I'm confused. Why is that stupid? And why is there no value in having a visual comparison of several models when you hover over a time point?

All models dump their numbers with decimal places...they have to be rounded if you want them cleaned up for text output or meteograms (or "lines"). 

Because it's just that - a meteogram.  It can be a useful tool in making a forecast, but it by itself is not a forecast.  It would be a different case if this site was intended for a meteorological audience, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Because it's just that - a meteogram.  It can be a useful tool in making a forecast, but it by itself is not a forecast.  It would be a different case if this site was intended for a meteorological audience, but I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Your original complaint is that it lacked any new or useful meteorological information. How an instant side-by-side comparison of models is not useful, I don't know. 

I don't know their intent behind creating the site (the description doesn't specify general public or professionals), but the "about" section seems to be rather open about their data sources and what they're doing with them. A layman can run their mouse over the lines and see a jumbled bump in the precipitation lines, and be able to tell it'll probably rain around that time--the same thing a meteorologist is going to do when making a forecast. I still see nothing wrong with it. 

Your original complaint is that it lacked any new or useful meteorological information. How an instant side-by-side comparison of models is not useful, I don't know. 

I don't know their intent behind creating the site (the description doesn't specify general public or professionals), but the "about" section seems to be rather open about their data sources and what they're doing with them. A layman can run their mouse over the lines and see a jumbled bump in the precipitation lines, and be able to tell it'll probably rain around that time--the same thing a meteorologist is going to do when making a forecast. I still see nothing wrong with it. 

It's useful, it's just not a forecast.  When it comes to the general public, I consider "meteorological information" to be more than raw data, since generally speaking, the public doesn't know what to do with that data.

This is actually a tech demo for their weather at a glance API. I'd say the actual "forecast.io" site (Not Lines) is a forecasting site since they're actually producing 5 day forecasts there at the bottom.

https://developer.forecast.io/

Pretty sure their text descriptions of the weather need a bit more tuning.  Right now for here in Miami, the NAM has a small amount of precip for tomorrow night (0.02), with the rest of the models <0.01" for the entire week through Sun, with perhaps a slight chance of rain by Mon.  It should also be mostly sunny. 

The text caption: "Light rain off-and-on throughout the week". 

My bet would be that would give most people the impression of some light rain almost every day and probably mostly cloudy in their minds.

Pretty sure their text descriptions of the weather need a bit more tuning.  Right now for here in Miami, the NAM has a small amount of precip for tomorrow night (0.02), with the rest of the models <0.01" for the entire week through Sun, with perhaps a slight chance of rain by Mon.  It should also be mostly sunny. 

The text caption: "Light rain off-and-on throughout the week". 

My bet would be that would give most people the impression of some light rain almost every day and probably mostly cloudy in their minds.

They may be reading this thread: Now it says "Light rain on Sunday; temperatures peaking at 87° on Saturday." I'm sure they'd love feedback since they're very interested in modifying for local biases and wording.

Archived