• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possibly weather-related question about corn

PhineasC

I have noticed the corn around these parts this year has been generally terrible. I get that this is not prime corn country but some of this stuff is inedible. Hard kernels and really small ears. There are also many fields around here where the corn was just allowed to ripen and rot in place, as if the farmer knew it was crap.

Even on the Eastern Shore where the corn is generally very good I've seen this. Still OK but nowhere near usual.

Anyone else seeing this or am I losing my mind? Is this weather-related? Too much rain and cool temps? Seems to me this would have been a perfect summer for veggies like corn but who knows?

Same out here in Northwestern WV. Noticed a lot of stunted plants, probably from the cool soil temps for most of the year. Also seeing a lot of diseased plants or burnt plants from improper herbicide applications. With herbicides (that aren't the newest Monsanto Roundup agricultural formula), one typically needs 24-36 hours of rain-free time for the herbicides to to their job without hurting the plants. It's been hard to apply herbi/fungicides due to the frequency of rain this year so a fair amount of weeds/diseases are poking through.

We've lost a year of research in our Sorghum plants due to similar issues that you're seeing with the corn farmers. Sucks man.

Archived