12bet1 net
Tropical Thread 2013

phlwx

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Up to 30%

Atlantic Graphical Tropical Weather Outlook This product is updated at approximately 2 AM, 8 AM, 2 PM, and 8 PM EDT from June 1 to November 30. Special outlooks may be issued as conditions warrant.
Place your mouse cursor over areas of interest for more information Archived Outlooks
two_atl.gif
GIS data: .shp
ZCZC MIATWOAT ALLTTAA00 KNHC DDHHMMTROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOKNWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL200 PM EDT MON JUL 22 2013FOR THE NORTH ATLANTIC...CARIBBEAN SEA AND THE GULF OF MEXICO...1. A TROPICAL WAVE ACCOMPANIED BY A SURFACE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM ISLOCATED ABOUT 400 MILES EAST-SOUTHEAST OF THE CAPE VERDE ISLANDS.THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY HAS INCREASED AND BECOME BETTER ORGANIZEDTODAY...AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED TO BE FAVORABLEFOR DEVELOPMENT OVER THE NEXT DAY OR SO BEFORE BECOMING LESSCONDUCIVE LATER IN THE WEEK.  THIS SYSTEM HAS A MEDIUM CHANCE...30 PERCENT...OF BECOMING A TROPICAL CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURSAS IT MOVES WESTWARD AT ABOUT 15 MPH.  INTERESTS IN THE CAPE VERDEISLANDS SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS DISTURBANCE.ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THENEXT 48 HOURS.FORECASTER STEWART

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the SAL decreasing and the MJO entering a favorable stage, I think this wave exiting Africa will have to be monitored closely.

splitE.jpg

The latest GFS and Euro runs develop that wave only once it gets out into the central North Atlantic. There is still a decent SAL to the north of the wave which perhaps is the reason for the delayed development of the system by the models. The lack of a strong cyclonic circulation at least may prevent any of the dry continental air from wrapping around the system. The timing of the negative upper-level VP anomalies associated with the MJO/Kelvin wave looks good to maintain the system and perhaps develop it in the next week or so.

Fantasy land on the GFS and Euro ensembling suggest the possibility of an East Coast threat in about two weeks. Not a consensus but a number of individual members suggest a close brush.

(and, yes, the 6z GFS had a lolz scenario this morning)

The latest GFS and Euro runs develop that wave only once it gets out into the central North Atlantic. There is still a decent SAL to the north of the wave which perhaps is the reason for the delayed development of the system by the models. The lack of a strong cyclonic circulation at least may prevent any of the dry continental air from wrapping around the system. The timing of the negative upper-level VP anomalies associated with the MJO/Kelvin wave looks good to maintain the system and perhaps develop it in the next week or so.

What are these?

What are these?

VP stands for velocity potential, which is a quantity in fluid dynamics related to divergence. I won't go into too much detail because there's some math involved but VP can be thought of as proportional to the negative of the divergence field. The VP field also tends to be less noisy than the divergence which is one reason it is useful to track the MJO. So negative upper-level VP anomalies imply that there is divergence aloft and therefore large-scale lift.

VP stands for velocity potential, which is a quantity in fluid dynamics related to divergence. I won't go into too much detail because there's some math involved but VP can be thought of as proportional to the negative of the divergence field. The VP field also tends to be less noisy than the divergence which is one reason it is useful to track the MJO. So negative upper-level VP anomalies imply that there is divergence aloft and therefore large-scale lift.

So they would encourage t-storm formation around any low level vortex that forms?

What an incredibly weak season. Wonder if thhis is in record territory.

Atlantic Tropical Cyclones of 2013
Tropical Cyclone Name Start Date Max Wind Speed (kt) ACE (104 kt2)

ANDREA June 05, 2013 55 1.83
BARRY June 19, 2013 40 0.565
CHANTAL July 08, 2013 55 2.0925
DORIAN July 24, 2013 50 2.62
ERIN August 15, 2013 35 1.1025
FERNAND August 25, 2013 50 0.6975

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accumulated_cyclone_energy#Atlantic_hurricane_seasons_by_ACE_index.2C_1950.E2.80.932013

I think we have a real shot at 77, and if things stay dead, 83 and 82.

north_atlantic_ace.png

the GFS hasn't shown anything remotely promising outside of a possible cape verde fish depression. Euro not showing anything either. I remember the days when the winter weenies could tease the trop dude's or vice versa. It's just been flat out depressing weather wise since sandy. 

Last cat 5 in the ATL basin were 07'. Dean & Felix. 

Last Cat 4 were Katia and Ophelia in 2011*

FIXED... I'm an idiot. I had the lists according to 1 category strength, not the life cycle. MY apologies. Good catch adam.

the GFS hasn't shown anything remotely promising outside of a possible cape verde fish depression. Euro not showing anything either. I remember the days when the winter weenies could tease the trop dude's or vice versa. It's just been flat out depressing weather wise since sandy.

I, for one, am not complaining.

Archived